1,000,000 mile Tundra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: glock19
Ok this is the mystery- commuter vehicle back and forth to his job. 1 million miles/ 9yrs. 111000 miles a year. A job worth driving that far for has to be a dang decent job..so lets say he works 5 days a week. So that puts the pickup truck on the road 2 days a week. That would be 104 days on the road. Thats 1000 miles a day...so that cant be right. So lets say he works his shift then goes home every day after work. 250 work days a year- thats 444 miles every day after work. at 60 miles per hour he would be on the road 7.5 hours every day after work... wait that dont make sense either.. he would have to split it up...so yeah he would have to drive 4 hours every day after work, then drive 4 hours to work.

He was hotshotting. He wasn't driving to his job, his job was driving (making deliveries). I don't think he could have fit the equipment he was delivering in a Prius.[/quote]

For the amount of work it supposedly did, the bed isn't that dented--I was expecting worse. But it clearly got some use.

I love these stories and videos, but like others have said you just can't gather a lot of factual information from most of them. It clearly sounds like this guy doesn't really know much of the actual history, or even that the vehicle has a timing belt. And only two timing belt replacements and one water pump? No way, sorry, make zero sense. And what was the guy towing? Because to tow something and carry weight for that amount of miles would lead to repairs.

The only thin I really gathered from the video is that the interior was very durable and that the vehicle was driven in dry climates because of the lack of rust on the body and under the truck. Other than that? Cool story, I'd just love real facts.

There's this guy who did a million miles in his Ford Van...had the 5.4 liter engine. He was pretty detailed and documented his repairs, etc. he went 50,000 miles on one oil change - just topped up - and he went half a million miles on his original hoses before one blew off...think he went 250,000 miles on a serpentine belt too. The van blew up at 1,200,000 miles, I think the engine blew a rod or something.

Good points. Also: it's bad form to read too much of one data point. I'm sure someone, somewhere, has a story about the world's most reliable engine where it threw a rod on the test drive. One bad lemon does not condemn a brand; and one good, high mile example does not prove much either.

The way I drive, if it gets to 150k miles it would be good enough. But it won't. Just blew a EJ18 ran on syn oil with 198k kms on it. Not on purpose, but from "average driver normal wearing".

Last edited:
A million miles in so few years is a lot easier on the machinery than a million miles over 30 years. Still, very impressive. The Toyota 4.7 v8 is an excellent engine.

As for 1 water pump, I can believe that. I was always surprised when I stopped and figured out what parts were original on my old '73 Plymouth when it had 450,000 miles. The power steering pump was the original, but the steering gearbox wasn't (to be fair, the first gearbox did go over 300,000 miles though. The rear-end was completely original, never opened (Chrysler 8.25). The rear brake drums were original, and the rotors didn't get below spec until the 300k range either (I never let the pads run so long as to form a groove, and I only turned them when really necessary- most pad changes I just broke the glaze and cleaned the pad residue off with scotch-brite pads and brakleen.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
1 Million Miles / 15 mpg = 67000 gallons of fuel (there were a few years if not more of $4 gallon) so lets go with $3/gallon average. Thats $200,000 in fuel.

From the article it says that the owner drove the truck long haul trips from his home to his job..so that would be a commuter vehicle.

IF he would have bought a 2007 Prius instead... 50mpg - 20000 gallons of fuel..thats $60000 in fuel.

He would have $140000 in his pocket in fuel alone.

---------------
Ok this is the mystery- commuter vehicle back and forth to his job. 1 million miles/ 9yrs. 111000 miles a year. A job worth driving that far for has to be a dang decent job..so lets say he works 5 days a week. So that puts the pickup truck on the road 2 days a week. That would be 104 days on the road. Thats 1000 miles a day...so that cant be right. So lets say he works his shift then goes home every day after work. 250 work days a year- thats 444 miles every day after work. at 60 miles per hour he would be on the road 7.5 hours every day after work... wait that dont make sense either.. he would have to split it up...so yeah he would have to drive 4 hours every day after work, then drive 4 hours to work.

There is no mention of tires and oil changes etc..so you gotta guess that there was alot of time spent doing tires and oil changes in between his breaks of not working and not driving...

What a terrible quality of life that would be, not to mention how hard it would be on your body. I drive an hour each way and its all I can stand.

Originally Posted By: supton

For the amount of work it supposedly did, the bed isn't that dented--I was expecting worse. But it clearly got some use.

Probably all trailers.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The truck had an optimal life operation wise. Toyota is high quality.

Yeah, but they're "boring".
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: doublebase
I love these stories and videos, but like others have said you just can't gather a lot of factual information from most of them. It clearly sounds like this guy doesn't really know much of the actual history, or even that the vehicle has a timing belt. And only two timing belt replacements and one water pump? No way, sorry, make zero sense. And what was the guy towing? Because to tow something and carry weight for that amount of miles would lead to repairs.

The only thin I really gathered from the video is that the interior was very durable and that the vehicle was driven in dry climates because of the lack of rust on the body and under the truck. Other than that? Cool story, I'd just love real facts.

There's this guy who did a million miles in his Ford Van...had the 5.4 liter engine. He was pretty detailed and documented his repairs, etc. he went 50,000 miles on one oil change - just topped up - and he went half a million miles on his original hoses before one blew off...think he went 250,000 miles on a serpentine belt too. The van blew up at 1,200,000 miles, I think the engine blew a rod or something.

You don't make it to 1,200,000 miles with 50,000 mile oil changes even if it was just one. LOL.

If he worked in the Texas oil fields, those guys drive from well to well and put huge amounts of miles on their trucks

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

You don't make it to 1,200,000 miles with 50,000 mile oil changes even if it was just one. LOL.

You'd think so, but the way it was described was that he would add a quart every few weeks anyway, so he figured it probably was "changed" in that 50,000 miles, multiple times.

That's not the only high mileage story I've heard about someone going years without actually changing their oil. There's another guy with an Audi A4 with 450,000 miles, says he hasn't changed his oil in three years, but he adds so much topping up that he's probably "changed" the oil several times since then. I wouldn't do it, but people certainly do.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
1 million miles pretending to be a F150
grin.gif

I'll bet the Toyota plugs can be removed without snapping.

When I was working at a Ford dealership we did have a 5 year old V10 Super Duty come in with almost 800k on it. It had no rebuilds yet and towed a trailer everywhere. Owner was on the rodeo circuit. But things like belts, hoses, fluids, etc were changed conservatively and religiously.

Conservative and religiously. That is the key. And, it all depends on the type of miles miles. I have a 8 year old E450 6.0PSD with 87,000 (12,000 hours) and it is bleeding itself to death. It's twin is only 72K but it is to the point that it is sitting because I can't put 60% of my repair budget into it at the first of the budget year. I inherited a fleet that was the opposite of "conservatively and religiously". Worse, they ran B50 in the 6.0 for two years(Ford limits it to B5 max). Now the vehicle I purchased since then have been excellent but the 12mph average and now at 5000 hours still hurts. You don't know how "easy" highway miles are until you run a local-only service. Brakes last about 15K miles and Tires are 18-20K.

Does that mean you would cringe at a vehicle with 330,000 miles and 29,000 engine hours? How about 105,000 and 16,000? (Actual shuttle buses I drove...International 3800 and V10 E450, respectively.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

I recall the million-mile Econoline went 15K between oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Does that mean you would cringe at a vehicle with 330,000 miles and 29,000 engine hours? How about 105,000 and 16,000? (Actual shuttle buses I drove...International 3800 and V10 E450, respectively.

Nope. 29K hours suggest that the mech/manager is going something right (or has a budget that allows repairs before replacement). 16,000 hours sounds like a shuttle vehicle I have but at least you had the V10... the 6.0 can't do it that easily for low-speed shuttle operations... especially on biodiesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back