Loathing specific manufacturer for no reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had mostly GMs and Chryslers in the family, no problems with any. Never owned a Toyota and no interest, rented them and they're dull as dishwater - I'm sure they're a perfectly average and reliable vehicle but since I never had any problems with GM/Chrysler I can't figure out the hoopla. Subaru - I live in Phoenix and have no interest or need for an AWD vehicle. I was able to buy my Grand Cherokee as a 4x2, why doesn't Subaru offer FWD as an option?

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I dislike "Jan", and that commercial with the stuck-up kid in the Highlander made me never want to own a Highlander.

When I see this reaction to a commercial it always raises a couple of questions....

If you see a cr*ppy commercial of a product you own do you have to get rid of it?

If you really like a commercial are you compelled to buy the product?

Hmm...I really enjoyed the KIA Soul commercials with the hamsters or whatever the rodents were but I highly dislike the brand. What to do??

The negative reactions to Toyota are interesting, seriously, dislike a brand because it's uninteresting? So Toyota steps out on the edge with the new Prius and gets slammed for being butt ugly. Dislike Toyota more than Nissan with all the weird styling and quality issues? Not a toy fanboy, the 14 RAV4 has been a pleasant, not exciting, car. Will we buy another Toyota? Who knows? So what? We'll get bored with it long before 200K clicks around.

Oh the irony:

-"Why do you drive a Japanese car after they bombed pearl harbor? buy American!" ...meanwhile this cousin of mine drives a Dodge Charger owned by Italians.

-"I only buy Ford's....I like to support cars made by Americans...." this brother-in-law bought his wife a Ford Fusion made in Mexico and I recently accompanied him on a test drive of a 2016 Silverado crew cab to find out it was assembled in Mexico.

-I have a college buddy who has been known to make fun of a certain ethnic group in his past who recently purchased a Jaguar XZ now owned by the very same ethnic group he repeatedly made fun of, Indians.

-My sister who has gone on record stating she will avoid buying products from China (GOOD LUCK) recently informed me she settled on a Volvo XC70. I asked her what other cars she looked at she said Subaru Outback. I just shook my head after she hung up.

Oh the irony.

No irony. If you want to support American jobs it is GM, Ford and FCA.

Quote:
GM spokesman Fred Ligouri says GM employs 77,000 Americans. Chrysler's U.S. employment totals 39,200. Ford declined to provide numbers, but the American Automotive Policy Council, a group that represents the Detroit Three, says the Dearborn, Mich., automaker employs about 65,000.
Combined, that's more than 2.5 times the number of employees that Toyota, Nissan and Honda – the three largest Japanese automakers in the U.S. — employ. Toyota spokeswoman Carly Schaffner says Toyota employs more than 30,000 Americans, up from 29,089 in 2011. Honda has "just north of 26,000" at its U.S. operations, says spokesman Ed Miller. Nissan's U.S. operations employ 10,380 across six states. Hyundai-Kia employs 7,800, according to two spokesmen for the Korean automaker.

Read more at https://www.cars.com/articles/2012/07/am...jeSmbMCmD4LM.99

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I have a very negative gut reaction to Toyota. Pretty much think "yuck!" every time I see one. Objectively I know that they're a good, big, automaker very comparable to GM. The reasons are twofold. First- the way a cult following built up that thinks they're better than anything else just really rubs me the wrong way. Toyota quality is average or slightly above, and on top of that it varies model-to-model and year-to-year like everyone else. The second: with almost zero exceptions (the original Land Cruiser, the Supra for a span of about 3 years) they build the absolute most milquetoast vehicles on the planet. Nothing the least bit original or wild about them. Can you possibly think of anything more generic or appliance-like than a Camry or Corolla?

The early 90's Lexus LS400(and possibly Infinity Q45) was the best sedan at less than $50k !

When I was a teen, I hated Honda and Toyota passionately. Years later, I finally understood why:
My parents drove them while I was a teen, and teens typically don't want to copy their parents. That is also why my first new car was a VW.

For other manufacturers, I have reasons that I have already stated numerous times.

My feelings about Nissan are mixed. I loved mom's 1985 Nissan Maxima because I felt like a movie star, but it was incredibly unreliable and cost our family a fortune in repairs. A few of our friends had 86 and 87 models, but they were just as unreliable. When the 300ZX Twin Turbo came out, I was 5 years old and wanted one. One thing that really bothered me was that the R34 Skyline was one of the best looking cars that wasn't sold in the USA, but could have been made to pass California smog and NTSHA crash tests. I also wished the first GT-R sold in the USA would have an inline 6, a manual transmission, and look similar to the R34 and R33.

I'm not actually a fan of Mitsubishi, even though I own one. I bought it because I like rally cars, but in 2010 Subaru didn't make one with a paddle shift transmission and timing chain engine.

Originally Posted By: supton
I like Toyota being boring. Just like my mattress, fridge, sink, oven, toaster, microwave, mower, list goes on and on. Items that I turn on, use for their purpose, put away when done. When they break I replace. They won't outlast me (I hope!) and thus I have no attachment. To me, it's just an object. With wheels. That wears out and breaks down. When I buy something that "excites me" I get stressed when it isn't perfect--that's why I ditched my VW.

I guess after driving 25-30kmiles per year for the last 16 years I've taken a turn for the worse. Vehicle purchasing is 90% emotional, as I've heard it said.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
See, this is what I "get" with most car companies. There is some angle, method or philosophy. Toyota builds (generally) low-maintenance, no excitement (good or bad) vehicles. That is fine for a user group. Chrysler makes vehicles to be exciting (good and bad) that get noticed. Everyone has an angle but VW to me. Maybe it is Ford's doing by being "cheap euro".

Now, Toyota does have its "freaky" side after all the engineers are allowed to do something that re-hash the 2000 Corolla one more time. They go nuts. Put the engine in the wrong place, forget to add a trunk, stagger the skinny tires. Give it a tranny that is at 4000rpm on the highway... because that is where the torque is... and because they only work on the corolla, they give it a 1ZZ. Yay.

What are exciting about Chrysler's vehicles ? One example is Chrysler 200(and Dodge Dart), how are they doing ? Going extinct in few months ?

If you are in charge of Design/Engineer Camry do you want to make it as exciting as Chrysler 200 then drop it after 3-4 years because nobody want to buy ? Or you keep improve it a little to sell more than any other family sedans year after year after year ?

Every car manufacture loves to have a car like Camry or Corolla, but only Toyota knows how to make it.

If you look at financial reports, Toyota have more profit per year and per vehicle than any car company. Toyota is clearly not too dumb to take your advice.

I wouldn't say that I loathe any manufacturers. The one brand that I really was into, but really soured on, was Chrysler, and it was mostly their customer service, not the vehicle itself. The vehicle (a 2007 T&C) did present numerous problems, but the way they were handled was just extremely poor. The dealers in our town turned out to be lousy, and Chrysler corporate was even worse. At the time, I thought, "geez, no wonder you're going bankrupt". This was soon after my folks had to Lemon Law a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with Chrysler fighting them the entire way. My family's experience with Chrysler was consistent there towards the end of our ownership experience with them. My folks did go on to own a '06 TJ and a '12 JK, which were great vehicles. And, again, their '05 Grand and our '07 T&C weren't as bad as Chrysler's treatment of us as valued customers. I'm sure they've changed...I hope they've changed. It was sad, though -- our family had many Jeeps, and I had always admired Chrysler's vehicle line up. Especially in the late '90s -- it seemed they had a real brand cohesiveness going. Daimler messed a lot of that up for sure...

I'd probably own another one. It'd take some pretty significant convincing for my wife to step into that pool again...

On the other side of the coin, I used to really dislike Honda. Mostly for the same reasons 440 dislikes Toyota -- because of the owners. This was the early and mid 1990s, EVERYBODY had a Honda, you were told that you should buy a Honda, and I was really into Mustangs (and Fords in general; my dad had a '92 5.0 LX and my mom had a '92 Crown Vic). I got SO TIRED of the "you need to buy a Honda" thing all the magazines were spewing. It wasn't until MANY years later that I actually drove one, and my opinion completely changed. And now we own two of them, and I'd buy another. We might get a real lemon of a Honda one day, and the company might treat us like Chrysler did, and I'll sour on them, I don't know. I guess we play our cards as we're dealt them, right?

But, this is really why I don't hate any manufacturer, and never give anyone a hard time about what they choose to drive, even if it's not my choice. All of our experiences our different, and our experience is the engine behind the choices we make.

I don't dislike any manufacturers, every one makes at least one car I like. It's much more down to individual models that I like/dislike.

Also, everyone is saying that Toyota owners only buy their "boring" cars because of their reputation for reliability or they've just given up on life. I'm sure that reputation is a reason, but I'll offer an alternative. They're one of the only manufacturers I can think of that still has 5 body on frame vehicles in their lineup. If you want an off-road vehicle you're probably looking at a Jeep or a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

What are exciting about Chrysler's vehicles ? One example is Chrysler 200(and Dodge Dart), how are they doing ? Going extinct in few months ?

If you are in charge of Design/Engineer Camry do you want to make it as exciting as Chrysler 200 then drop it after 3-4 years because nobody want to buy ? Or you keep improve it a little to sell more than any other family sedans year after year after year ?

Every car manufacture loves to have a car like Camry or Corolla, but only Toyota knows how to make it.

If you look at financial reports, Toyota have more profit per year and per vehicle than any car company. Toyota is clearly not too dumb to take your advice.

They are discontinuing the Dart/200 because they forgot the lessons of Iacocca... they have to be inexpensive, efficient, and reliable. They have the first part down. The latter two, not so much. Still, as bad as the Caliber was, they were on to something. They need to roll-out a badge engineered mini-CUV for Dodge/Chrysler. Make the Chrysler a Encore fighter and make the Dodge a non-offroad, murdered out urban renegade.

The 200 has the option of the Pentastar and for a "smaller" car (I don't care, it does not feel like a "mid-sized" car to me), that is a lot. If they matched it to a non-retiree gearbox suspension, it would be fun. The Dart could have been a true re-badged Alfa... but we meddled with it to make it "American" without adding the "Murica"" to it. They should have dropped the V6 in it and then sold it on the cheap. It can be a fun car... fix the rear suspension and it would be really fun despite the gawd-aweful engine (I4). Still, nothing is more exciting than getting a ride from a methed-up local in his Omni because you Dart broke down. Even terrible cars have some excitement. A coma patient in the trunk of a Dart will be having more fun than any conscious person in a Corolla. Does that make the Dart a better car? Oh, heck no.

And don't get me wrong, I love Toyota. I get their approach. Their expertise in the manufacturing process... but car design is behind just about everyone and getting worse. I would have likely gone for the FRS/BRZ/86 if it could have a back seat. It will baby? It will not baby+wife. I got vetoed. Plus, the Genny was more car and a better value. I will sell my spare organs, plus a lot of blood, and go into financial ruin if they bring out a MkIV MR2. F*** the Supra, bring back an affordable mid-engine car. Just do not make it a hybrid unless you can keep it to under 2300 lbs (See CRZ lessons).

A coma patient in the trunk of a Dart will be having more fun than any conscious person in a Corolla.

As a counter to this, I once had an '07 Corolla LE with a 5-speed. I put lightweight Prius wheels on it, some relatively sticky Yokohama tires, and a front strut brace. I had a lot more fun in that car than I did in the one I traded in: a 300-hp Cadillac STS. That Corolla was firmly sprung (I bought it CPO with less than 20k miles on it) and would really dance with good rubber on it.

Some of the most fun I've had in a car while doing the speed limit or less.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
A coma patient in the trunk of a Dart will be having more fun than any conscious person in a Corolla.

As a counter to this, I once had an '07 Corolla LE with a 5-speed. I put lightweight Prius wheels on it, some relatively sticky Yokohama tires, and a front strut brace. I had a lot more fun in that car than I did in the one I traded in: a 300-hp Cadillac STS. That Corolla was firmly sprung (I bought it CPO with less than 20k miles on it) and would really dance with good rubber on it.

Some of the most fun I've had in a car while doing the speed limit or less.

So you were driving around an MR2 in reverse
wink.gif
(the joke being that an MR2 is a Corolla built backwards... same engine/gearbox in a different shell).

You *can* do some simple changes to any car and make it more fun. A manual will always be more fun. A manual 3 cyclinder Fiesta > Auto 911 for everyday driving... and maybe on the track too in the "fun" department. I used to hoon a friends 2003 Corolla... which terrified them. I had to promise them if I blew the engine that I would buy the car from them. They believed that they needed to shift at 2,200 RPM and then complained about a lack of power. Bringing it to 3,000RPM would start to "stress the engine" in their mind. The MR2 lives in 3,000-5,000. And then explaining to this engineer (no kidding) about VVT finally made them brave enough to rev to 3,500RPM.

The issue with the Corolla is that they do not really make a "fun" version with the tweaks you added. Maybe if folks were aware than a manual iM is a fun car, it would be different but 99% of the ones I look at have the slusher in it.

Last edited:
They believed that they needed to shift at 2,200 RPM and then complained about a lack of power. Bringing it to 3,000RPM would start to "stress the engine" in their mind. The MR2 lives in 3,000-5,000. And then explaining to this engineer (no kidding) about VVT finally made them brave enough to rev to 3,500RPM.

[off-topic]
when i did my 50 hours driver education in europe, the instructor acted the same.
first time when i shifted to 4th was with the examiner on my right
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: Bud
Dislike lots of things. Do not really hate anything, although the woman on the progressive insurance tv commercials might get me there.

Ha ha ha...I agree.

Funny thing, years ago I thought she was kind of cute and funny. But after...what....a decade or so of her? I pretty much DESPISE her commercials. She's an irritation that always seems to appear on my TV, computer, or radio. Can't stand her anymore....so yes....you could say I LOATHE her now.

Last edited:
Okay, I paid $4534.00 OTD for the BMW. It had 105K, a new top, new tires and a ton of service records going back to its delivery to a woman in Florida as a new car.
Thus far, I've replaced the large tube that runs between the AFM or MAF or whatever it is and the intake manifold and that's it. The part with new clamps came to around thirty bucks shipped from FCP.
It averages over 30 mpg.
I've put 55K on it over the past seven summers. I use it as a daily driver between the salt seasons.
Now consider what I could sell this old dear for since it remains a good running economical and entertaining daily driver with great AC.
Beat that for cost of ownership.

The issue with the Corolla is that they do not really make a "fun" version with the tweaks you added.

The most frustrating part of trying to do things like that is the lack of a good user community. There are tons of Corolla fans on internet forums, but they're all about "hellaflush" and body kits on automatic-equipped "S" models with the trunk spoiler. Some of them had XRSes, with the 2ZZ engine, but for the most part, they were high school kids with too much money and a new Corolla. None of them seemed to know you could get a 5-speed LE. Even with the 1ZZ engine, it'd run strong all the way up to the fuel cut at about 6,200 RPM and scratch the tires going into 2nd. Fun little car to toss around.

Despite my enjoyment of it, I could never get comfortable with the "short" seating position designed-in to those cars. The steering wheel didn't telescope, and if I adjusted the seat for my arms, my legs were cramped (extra problematic for working a clutch). If I adjusted the seat for my legs, which had plenty of adjustment there, my arms were like T-rex arms...couldn't reach the steering wheel comfortably. It needed a telescoping steering column badly.

I even considered paying a place who does conversions for disabled drivers to custom-make an extension boss for the steering wheel, to move it back about two inches. I never did, and ended up trading it nearly straight-up on a 2011 Camry back when you could get a Toyota for a song during the recall days. (I never did warm up to the Camry, due to the flaccid suspension and poor automatic transmission programming. I ended up trading that on a 2008 CR-V about a year later. And traded it for more than I paid for it, since the recalls were yesterday's news and Toyotas were "safe" again!)

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Subaru Legacy Outback Bought $2,200, invested $500 in repairs, drove 30,000mi. $Sold 2,200.

'09 Honda Fit: Bought new for $12,600 (Cash for Clunkers $4500 REBATE), replaced tires, oil, PM. Sold at 62K for $11,000

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Subaru Legacy Outback Bought $2,200, invested $500 in repairs, drove 30,000mi. $Sold 2,200.

'09 Honda Fit: Bought new for $12,600 (Cash for Clunkers $4500 REBATE), replaced tires, oil, PM. Sold at 62K for $11,000

1983 S10, bought for $150, sold for $300. I recall my goal was $600 all costs (gas, ins, reg, purchase), 6,000 miles and 6 months. I recall hitting all those goals.

I did miss that the rear main seal was blown, so I did wind up replacing that (as it was maybe 50 miles per quart?). Did that at a friends garage, so it was at the cost of the seal. This was back in 1998 though, so maybe it wasn't that impressive.

Last edited:
I don't hate any but I don't like Apple stuff. I am on my third Ipod Nano. Perhaps they don't like me running 5 miles a day. I don't like the user interface either.
Other than that? Eh...

Haha, funny topic! VW certainly deserves my rage! As my Jetta TDI was a horrible car.

Otherwise, I'd have to say that there is no manufacturer that I dislike. I do recognize that all common manufacturers make something good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back