P/S calls for Dexron II or III, Maxlife OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to do the "turkey baster" power steering change at each oil change. I've been using Maxlife ATF in my Frontier since it calls for Dexron VI, and I couldn't be happier. Our new 4Runner calls for Dexron II or III in the owners manual.

Maxlife says that it's suitable for Dex II, III, and VI applications. I only ask because it has a much lower viscosity than Dex II or III. I know Valvoline put out a statement a while back that it will be fine in a Dex II/III transmission due to shearing of the conventional Dex II/III, but is this also true in a power steering system?

I would like to use the Maxlife since it's what I always have on hand in the garage. Just not sure if it's the best choice here?

Thanks!

If you already have some MaxLife ATF in your possession, use it in your P/S, I have! I like it especially in our northern winters.
*Unless ML specifically says not to use it in P/S units!

However, my overall favorite is Mobil 1 ATF(in P/S systems) as I have never had an issue with it in P/S or ATF calling for DexIII/MERC.

And either can be used in the Toyota & Nissan in your Signature. However, DO NOT USE either ML or M1 in a Honda. ONLY HONDA P/S Fluid(or those meeting Honda spec).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K20FA5
Maxlife says that it's suitable for Dex II, III, and VI applications. I only ask because it has a much lower viscosity than Dex II or III. I know Valvoline put out a statement a while back that it will be fine in a Dex II/III transmission due to shearing of the conventional Dex II/III, but is this also true in a power steering system?...

MaxLife is a full synthetic ATF as compared to mineral DexII/III, thus ML with lower starting viscosity.

ML will start at a lower viscosity but it will maintain the visc longer than DexII/III even though the latter starts higher. In other words, ML will not shear as quickly as DexII/III. Same applies to power steering applications.

ML should work fine for your power steering application.

You should be able to easily go 50-60k miles if not more with p/s fluid. Every oil change is totally unnecessary. Send me your old fluid, I will run it another 50k miles.

Last edited:
For dex III applications, I use supertech dex/merc. It's inexpensive and my vehicles run fine on it. But if u already have maxlife, you are good to go w it

Originally Posted By: Lubener
You should be able to easily go 50-60k miles if not more with p/s fluid. Every oil change is totally unnecessary. Send me your old fluid, I will run it another 50k miles.

We're only talking about enough fluid that is in the reservoir. Maybe a few ounces, not a total fluid change. I've been doing that in my 2010 Frontier since new. The few oz that I pull out at each oil change still looks and smells brand new. I figured it was a good insurance policy to keep the additives fresh.

Take him up on his offer and mail him a few ounces at a time.

Probably wiser doing it your way than waiting 150k and do a full exchange at that time (like I have done).

My only hang up with ML is the fact that they say it can be used in applications calling for mercon, mercon V, SP, and LV.

Sp and LV are close. Mercon V is fine for mercon. But I'm not using sp or LV in anything calling for V or older. Even amsoil has two different fluids for LV and V.

LV is just not a ford approved substitute for V. So i don't trust ML's advice to use it in all things ford.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener

+1 My vehicles have electronic steering but when I had vehicles that had a traditional set up I would change it every 30k when I was doing my transmission.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Maxlife says that it's suitable for Dex II, III, and VI applications. I only ask because it has a much lower viscosity than Dex II or III. I know Valvoline put out a statement a while back that it will be fine in a Dex II/III transmission due to shearing of the conventional Dex II/III, but is this also true in a power steering system?...

MaxLife is a full synthetic ATF as compared to mineral DexII/III, thus ML with lower starting viscosity.

ML will start at a lower viscosity but it will maintain the visc longer than DexII/III even though the latter starts higher. In other words, ML will not shear as quickly as DexII/III. Same applies to power steering applications.

Has anyone looked at used oil viscosity of DEXRON-II and -III fluids. I don't see any of them shearing like Valvoline says they do.

Originally Posted By: DWC28

Has anyone looked at used oil viscosity of DEXRON-II and -III fluids. I don't see any of them shearing like Valvoline says they do.

I haven't specifically looked, but as a general rule the mineral based ATF's will shear more quickly and likely go below the vicscosity of a synthetic fluid like ML starting at a lower viscosity.

I have read member MolaKule on the topic as posted in the link below. In that thread I specifically ask about ML Dex/Merc which at one time had a pqia advisory because of it's visc. His findings and answer compare Dex VI vs Dex III. It may not be the answer you seek, but it my source of information. Note the explanation comparing shearing of the two.

Improvements in DexVI over DexIII

However, if one is more comfortable with the higher viscosity go with DexII/III, but I wouldn't fear ML in PSF application calling for DexII/III.

Originally Posted By: DWC28

I haven't specifically looked, but as a general rule the mineral based ATF's will shear more quickly and likely go below the vicscosity of a synthetic fluid like ML starting at a lower viscosity.

I have read member MolaKule on the topic as posted in the link below. In that thread I specifically ask about ML Dex/Merc which at one time had a pqia advisory because of it's visc. His findings and answer compare Dex VI vs Dex III. It may not be the answer you seek, but it my source of information. Note the explanation comparing shearing of the two.

Improvements in DexVI over DexIII

However, if one is more comfortable with the higher viscosity go with DexII/III, but I wouldn't fear ML in PSF application calling for DexII/III.

I am more comfortable with higher viscosity especially for Honda PS. I think Maxlife has not supported their claims. PQIA folded under pressure. Most ATF use PMA VI improvers, varying molecular weight. The good synthetic DEXRON-III products will be as shear stable as the Maxlfe and have good flow at low temperature and good film thickness at high temperature. Using DEXRON VI will give you longer drains, better fuel economy but shorter life, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back