Transmission fluid for 2007 Mercedes S550. Valvoline Maxlife and Dexron VI?

From what I'm reading on the Mercedes forums, Castrol and Valvoline aren't on Mercedes approved list because they didn't pay the fee. And "if a transmission fails because of a Valvoline fluid that was spec'd for the vehicle, Valvoline covers the repairs."
I'd imagine Valvoline is going to want proof that the transmission was maintained by the book prior to using their product.

One thing I've noticed is that MV ATF's never appear on approved lists. I think it's in part because Shell develops a lot of ATF's for automakers and they typically release a new specification for every new design. For example in the BMW world there's ZF LifeGuard 6 (Shell M-1375.4) and LifeGuard 8/9 (Shell M-L12108) for the 6 and 8/9-speed AT's. As you can see these ATF's are based on different Shell Fluids but Maxlife can allegedly be used for both units. I can understand the business reasons for MV ATF's at it's a cost saver for Indy shops, but I don't understand the business reasons for developing different ATF if there's no performance difference in doing so.

Another example if Ford. Mercon SP/LV cannot be mixed with any other Mercon ATF but Valvoline says no problem. How?

Someone on here absolutely hated Maxlife (must have been an old formulation). Claims it lunched his transmission with no supporting evidence, IIRC. Might have been Oil Changer?

There were some problems early on, before MB went to the larger capacity transmission pan. But by far, most problems with the 722.9 transmission are associated from improper, or lack of, maintenance. Rarely do you hear of problems with the 722.9 if the ATF is changed on schedule, and the correct ATF is used. The problems arise when people try to use the wrong fluid, or ignore the maintenance schedule.
My point was he would be using improper fluid, thus causing the reported shifting problems. The 722.9 transmissions are bulletproof if you change the fluid and use proper fluid…like you said.

From what I'm reading on the Mercedes forums, Castrol and Valvoline aren't on Mercedes approved list because they didn't pay the fee. And "if a transmission fails because of a Valvoline fluid that was spec'd for the vehicle, Valvoline covers the repairs."

If that is true, Castrol and Valvoline must be two of the cheapest, penny pinching oil companies around.

Mercedes charges a very nominal fee to certify and approve a fluid. They don't want any company to be able to claim, that the only reason their product isn't approved by MB, is that it is cost prohibitive. So I'm always very skeptical of claims like this. For this reason, I also have low confidence in oil and transmission fluid producers that say their fluid "meets" a MB spec, but isn't "approved".

I like Valvoline products. Maxlife has always been my ATF of choice for transmissions that call for Dexron ATF. But a 722.9 is not one of those.

BTW, I spend a fair amount of time on one MBWorld. On the forums I participate in, I have never seen any recommendation to use any fluid other than those that MB has as approved, on their website.

Last edited:
Let me see if I got this right. You picked up a European luxury vehicle from auction with unknown history and signs of less than stellar maintenance practices. You have issues with the transmission but it drives so it’s mechanically at least mostly OK. And you are attempting to resolve this by changing the fluid… using universal ATF, likely what the prior owner used, instead of the correct ATF, which at least has some chance of resolving the issue?

Reactions: hrv
Let me see if I got this right. You picked up a European luxury vehicle from auction with unknown history and signs of less than stellar maintenance practices. You have issues with the transmission but it drives so it’s mechanically at least mostly OK. And you are attempting to resolve this by changing the fluid… using universal ATF, likely what the prior owner used, instead of the correct ATF, which at least has some chance of resolving the issue?
Umm....no, I ordered the the fluid ahead of time for when I pull the valve body to rebuild it and put it back. The issues aren't fluid related.

If that is true, Castrol and Valvoline must be two of the cheapest, penny pinching oil companies around.
Then if saying on their labels that their fluids meet the MB specs isn't asking for legal trouble? I mean, if transmissions were failing right and left from using it, the class action lawyers would be all over them.

Then if saying on their labels that their fluids meet the MB specs isn't asking for legal trouble? I mean, if transmissions were failing right and left from using it, the class action lawyers would be all over them.
No, because they are stating that it is a recommendation to use their product for an application; they are not saying the product meets the specification.

Also, it is almost impossible to pin a transmission failure as a result of fluid. Many transmissions already have high mileage by the time they receive a fluid change; it is easy for a blender to blame the transmission failure on normal wear/tear.

No, because they are stating that it is a recommendation to use their product for an application; they are not saying the product meets the specification.

Also, it is almost impossible to pin a transmission failure as a result of fluid. Many transmissions already have high mileage by the time they receive a fluid change; it is easy for a blender to blame the transmission failure on normal wear/tear.
Typically the MBs end up at the dealer for shifting problems. The dealer replaces the fluid which solves the problems. I would guess it gets very expensive because a drain and fill leaves a lot of fluid in the TC. D&F only get about 50% of fluid out. Some have TC drain plugs and some don't. How can owners sue when they allowed the non approved fluid to be used?

Typically the MBs end up at the dealer for shifting problems. The dealer replaces the fluid which solves the problems. I would guess it gets very expensive because a drain and fill leaves a lot of fluid in the TC. D&F only get about 50% of fluid out. Some have TC drain plugs and some don't. How can owners sue when they allowed the non approved fluid to be used?
My comment was addressing the products liability potential of a blender such as Valvoline, who advertises their product as "suitable for use" in a number of applications.

In WIS, Mercedes has a cooler line flush procedure.

Basically, disconnect the return line at the transmission, connect a pair of adapters, fluid goes from the fill container into the transmission via one adapter, while fluid from the return line is collected via the other. Run about 14 liters through. Disconnect the adapters, reconnect the return line (using new crush washers). Check level.

That connection is a pain to access. It’s up high on the transmission housing, by the engine, driver side and you have to remove several underbody panels to get at it.

Simpler to do it at the upper radiator cooler fitting.

236.14 (it supersedes 236.10 and 236.12, so it should be used in applications which call for the 2 older approvals) is to be used in the 722.6 and older (until about 2011) 722.9 transmissions.
236.15 is the low friction fluid that goes in the newer 722.9 transmissions. The names of the products usually have an FE in them. Here is more information on the topic and exact transmission serial number if you are on the border. Long story short, OP needs 236.14 fluid for their car, definitely something on the Bevo list.

I am also due for a transmission fluid change, but am feeling a bit more adventurous. Since the transmission is beginning to act up, I'd like to give HPL a try. The problem is, however, that they list both 236.14 (which I also need) and 236.15 under ATF Green. What makes it even more confusing is that 236.10 is under Blue. Does anyone know why that is?

Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 10.38.16 PM.jpg

Attachments

• MB mandate 236.14.jpg
    MB mandate 236.14.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 6
Back