Transmission fluid for 2007 Mercedes S550. Valvoline Maxlife and Dexron VI?

Mercedes says to use fluid with 236.14 specifications. Maxlife says their fluid is recommended for that spec, as well as meeting the spec for Dexron VI. Does that mean that theoretically, Dexron VI would be ok in this car?

castrol transmax full synthetic dexron vi/mercon lv,,multi-vehicle atf,,is approved for mercedes 236.14 ,can get at auto-zone,,,also maybe call castrol to properly confirm application you have

Explain why not if it meets the Mercedes spec and the AC Delco spec it doesn't mean the Mercedes and AC Delco specs aren't similar?
the devil is in the details.and the fluid in question probably hasn't actually been tested for the Benz spec but it may actually meet it... ... Atikovi a better question to ask may be why if there is a choice of several fluids that meet the spec, would want to choose a fluid that doesn't carry the specification?

the devil is in the details.and the fluid in question probably hasn't actually been tested for the Benz spec but it may actually meet it... ... Atikovi a better question to ask may be why if there is a choice of several fluids that meet the spec, would want to choose a fluid that doesn't carry the specification?
I already have it on the shelf.

Explain why not if it meets the Mercedes spec and the AC Delco spec it doesn't mean the Mercedes and AC Delco specs aren't similar?
You can have a multi-vehicle additive package that covers a wide-range of specifications due to the friction modification performance. The shear stability and oxidative stability of the multi-vehicle should theoretically be "good enough" to address the requirements of all specifications being covered.

Here is an example of a multi-vehicle additive package. You can see some of the charts on the 2nd page that demonstrate how multi-vehicle additive systems work.....in principle: https://www.aftonchemical.com/getme...9f0d-45d841a4a66c/HiTEC-3488_PDS.pdf?ext=.pdf

But singling out one specification and expecting it to fully cover the requirements of another....is equivalent to throwing darts on a wall.

If it meets 236.14, then why isn't it on the 236.14 list, in Mercedes Operatingfluids website?

There is no way I would ever use a fluid in a Mercedes, that isn't listed as being approved.

Shell ATF 134 is available on Walmart.com and Amazon, and a lot of other sources. Fuchs Titan ATF 134 is available from FCP Euro. Pentosin ATF 134 is available online through Advance. All of these are on the 236.14 approval list. It is just too easy to get the right fluid. Because it's on the shelf is a poor reason to use a fluid that isn't correct.

Last edited:
You can have a multi-vehicle additive package that covers a wide-range of specifications due to the friction modification performance. The shear stability and oxidative stability of the multi-vehicle should theoretically be "good enough" to address the requirements of all specifications being covered.

Here is an example of a multi-vehicle additive package. You can see some of the charts on the 2nd page that demonstrate how multi-vehicle additive systems work.....in principle: https://www.aftonchemical.com/getme...9f0d-45d841a4a66c/HiTEC-3488_PDS.pdf?ext=.pdf
I understand that... but why this insistence on going off the chart when a suitable fluid that carries the spec is available? that is my question. I don't care if you use whatever, nor do I care to rationalize it either way.. why if there is something available do you want to go with something else.? Make sense?

I understand that... but why this insistence on going off the chart when a suitable fluid that carries the spec is available? that is my question. I don't care if you use whatever, nor do I care to rationalize it either way.. why if there is something available do you want to go with something else.? Make sense?
I did not recommend a multi-vehicle fluid; I was merely answering his question.

Without going into add packs the viscosity is off between the 3 looking at spec sheets. The valvoline is on the thin side, dex 6 is thicker and the MB is somewhere in between. Pentosin and Liquimoly both make a standalone product for 236.14 and neither specs their dex 6 or more universal products for 236.14. Might it work? Maybe but IMO an MB transmission is too expensive to gamble on

If you have a 5spd unit, you can use Valvoline MaxLife ATF or Valvoline Import MV ATF for model years 1996-2010. . 7 spd units up to 2009, get the fluid from the dealer.

Mercedes says to use fluid with 236.14 specifications. Maxlife says their fluid is recommended for that spec, as well as meeting the spec for Dexron VI. Does that mean that theoretically, Dexron VI would be ok in this car?
Why not just use OEM fluid from Mercedes and dont worry about ..

If it meets 236.14, then why isn't it on the 236.14 list, in Mercedes Operatingfluids website?

The Valvoline Maxlife isn't on that list either.

Shell ATF 134 is available on Walmart.com and Amazon, and a lot of other sources. Fuchs Titan ATF 134 is available from FCP Euro. Pentosin ATF 134 is available online through Advance. All of these are on the 236.14 approval list. It is just too easy to get the right fluid. Because it's on the shelf is a poor reason to use a fluid that isn't correct.
Shell AFT 134 isn't on that list either.

There is no way I would ever use a fluid in a Mercedes, that isn't listed as being approved.

This. The Bevo lists dozens of fluids for every application, in your case 236.14.

The earlier five speed (like both of my cars) was more tolerant of fluid. The seven speed has a reputation for being fragile.

Don’t guess. Use an approved fluid.

Back