Shell X100 30/40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why you chastise others for making topics that you deem old and "beating a dead horse" but you want to discuss an ancient oil. This is BITOG. No oil discussion should be deemed off topic and it's up to the individual members themselves to decide if they want to contribute/join in to the conversation.

30/40 sounds on the thick side when cold.

I bought Shell X100 7 or 8 years ago but it was in a modern plastic container with a 15W40 SG spec. Probably had a decent amount of ZDDP so might have suited the Capri.

The main reason of this post really was to see what the 30/40 meant not really looking for an oil anymore like before with my constant posts ,most agree Valvoline VR1 would be best, other owners also confirm this
smile.gif

Hi FCD,

I think the J300 standard gives Winter (W) grades only go up to 25W, beyond that you can't use the "W".

So Penrite HPR 50 is a 40-70, not the incorrect and often used 40W-70.
Penrite HPR 40 is a 25W-70.

So this oil is probably a 30-40 (think 30W-40, but you can't really use a W and be correct). I would assume an early multi-grade, probably very close to a monograde. Maybe a monograde they tested as a multigrade.

I've always wondered what a modern Group II SAE 30 would test to as a multigrade. I'm guessing 15W-30.

Last edited:
I've seen a mineral 20W-30 motorcycle oil here still being sold off the shelf. The only single grade oils you see here are 30 and 40w Diesel oils, no petrol rated single grades

Could predate the "W" gradings full stop.

One of the early J300s had (SUS at 100F)
30 - 270 to 330 SUS
40 - 360 to 440 SUS

Hypothesising, maybe this was a lube that was in the gap, and could be (to quote BITOG parlance), a "heavy 30, light 40".

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
i doubt that i think it's some sort of early multigrade

OK, then cite what makes you believe that...other than just "think"...I've posted a possible reason.

Happy to be convinced, however counter to your feel, the SAE 30 and SAE 40 grades are specified by kinematic viscosity at 100C...both of them. With no low temperature performance standard (the "W").

So you can't have the multigrade change in performance low temp to high temp on a grade that is only rated at the SAME temp.

Unless you've got a better argument.

Shell in 1959 knew what multigrade was...and how to label it correctly (you could back in the day list all of the "W's that it could meet)

s-l1600.jpg

Some time earlier, they knew about monogrades and the 20W20.

30619_0.jpg

X-100 was introduced in 1949 http://woadcorner.com/shell-successes/
Quote:
From the time it was first made available for sale in 1949 Shell X-100 proved a great success wherever it was marketed. The following year brought an excellent means of publicising it and other products through the inaugural Formula One World Championship, in which Shell immediately proved it would excel.

Here's the 1923 version of J300...I'm still trying to fill in my missing links through to the '50s.

j300%201923.jpg

You can see that the low temperature grades, 030, and 020 were "30 grade" and "20 grade" with low temperature performance described by a 10F pour point.

You can also see the gap between 30 and 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back