Brake Pad Anti Rattle Clips

Status
Not open for further replies.
So over the last few months I have been doing a parts cannon method on the Focus. It's had a pretty audible metal clunk on bumps since October that has gradually been getting worse. A friend heard it when I drove by and commented on how it sounded like there was something seriously lose in the front end.

I replaced the end links, because it's a Focus. That did help some of the clunking, but not all of it. The worst of it still remained. So I replace the strut bearings and mounts. They were starting to bind up ... but that was not the problem as the car still clunked.

Last night on my way home, someone cut me off on 81 - on a section where it always clunks. While I was on the brakes, it didn't clunk.

Finally figured it was in the brakes. I was able to wiggle around the right side pads around (that was the worst) by hand. Had my father wiggle the pad while I sat inside and sure enough, that was the noise!

I took the clips out when the car was a year old because they were causing the brakes to drag. Last summer I put on some pads and rotors and never did the clips. Also, didn't have any issues after doing the brake job, so I never thought about it.

Really surprised that was my problem the whole time. I didn't think brake pads would make that much noise.

thanks for the thought - I drove a friend's car yesterday that had an ominous clunk from the right front... good thing to check first

I had the same issues. Mine uses these rubber bands to prevent rattling, but I never installed them thinking they would cause the pads to stick/bind.

the rattling eventually caused the pads retainment tangs to wear pits into the ways where the calipers slide and caused binding anyway and tapered pad wear.

I filed out these depressions, Got new Napa premium reman'd calipers, filed their black paint job so they would rid smooth in the ways, and wetsanded to something like 800 grit for an ultra smooth buttery sliding surfaces.

I used the provided rubber bands provided with caliper retainment kit, and liberal use of Permatex green brake grease on the ways. New Hawk HPS pads had their tang's sharp edges rounded to prevent binding, have given me rattle free braking performance Much much better than before.

So nice hitting that first bump and No rattle. That first hard braking attempt after breaking in the pads according to their directions was surprising when the tires started chirping.

These 'rubber' bands are something much stronger and more durable than a regular office type rubber band. NO brake rattles in 18+ months and by far the best braking performance I've ever had on this vehicle with the Hawk HPS pads.

Pad slapping without attention to possible binding of the calipers or the pad tangs within the calipers were my previous mistakes, along with omitting the rubber bands.

Also the caliper retainment springs have sliding surfaces on mine which I had failed to grease in the past. head smacking foolishness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back