Bad paint job, advice needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a friggin mess that is, second year trade school kids do better than that, thats not a pro job that's just total garbage! I would be ashamed of it and certainly wouldn't deliver some $hit like that to a customer.

Copy of the email I sent the owner........

XXXXX, take a look at the photos at this last attempt to paint this hood. It was bad enough the way it was handed to me the first time, with the ding in the side of the hood, and pockets of air near the hinges.

This time may even be worse. Areas of the hood are so dull, coarse, it's as if they have no clear coat, and the attempt to fix the hinges was awful.There is a black chunk of paint missing off of one of them that was not there before. The vents are missing the thread fasteners, and the drivers vent is very loose just touching it from the outside. I do appreciate you not using nuts this time, at least there was no damage like the first attempt.

https://vault.myvzw.com/webcs/app/share/invite/qq3FnKugIW

Aside from the poor paint, it looks like it was painted/prepped with the windows down, as there is dust all over the seats, door panels, console, and filthy boot prints all over the rubber mats. It's like it was treated like a high school project vehicle.

I don't have any faith that your shop can repair it correctly even on a third attempt, so I am asking for a full refund, because you know this is going to need to be stripped down and completely repainted, not whatever you guys attempted this second time.

Kind Regards,
XXXXXXXX

There is at least 2 hrs more labor in his hood than the large flat panel on the Camry. Its more difficult to prep and much more difficult to sand and buff after.
$400 is an okay price but just the color alone can throw the price off by a large margin, complex shapes and cutouts add time. Upgrading to a paint like Chroma base or Chroma Premier can add up to 50% to the material cost over the lower cost option standard shop base coat paints.
IIRC MAACO uses SW paints, not bad paint by any means but not in the same class as Chroma or Deltron.

We e-mailed back and forth today, he claims it *looked good in the sun,* and whatever is wrong with it can't possibly warrant a re-paint. I've made it clear three times that I don't trust his shop anymore, but he keeps wanting me to bring it in. I told him he has til the end of the week to refund my $532, or I will dispute the charge with my credit card company, and that's how I left it. I've actually started the process of disputing the charge, I just have to get a couple estimates and statements from body shops.

Originally Posted By: montero1
We e-mailed back and forth today, he claims it *looked good in the sun,* and whatever is wrong with it can't possibly warrant a re-paint. I've made it clear three times that I don't trust his shop anymore, but he keeps wanting me to bring it in. I told him he has til the end of the week to refund my $532, or I will dispute the charge with my credit card company, and that's how I left it. I've actually started the process of disputing the charge, I just have to get a couple estimates and statements from body shops.
Take it back to him so he can see it, so if you have to go to court it seems like you gave him more chances.

But definitely don't let them touch it again, I'd have him look at it so maybe he can be convinced to refund you the money.

Unfortunately a low paid paint tech will do the bare minimum to do the job and onto next car.

He gets paid by quantity, not quality. Windows were down and radio was on full blast during prep work. Thats why interior is very dirty.

he claims it *looked good in the sun,* and whatever is wrong with it can't possibly warrant a re-paint

crazy.gif

Looks good for a driveway rattle can paint job.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
he claims it *looked good in the sun,* and whatever is wrong with it can't possibly warrant a re-paint

crazy.gif

Looks good for a driveway rattle can paint job.

I'm glad you guys can see it in the pics......in person it's horrible. Does he really think he can wet sand or buff that out?

So far no one wants to even deal with what he's done, they want to strip and redo the whole thing.

Last edited:
Definitely dispute the CC charges. Breach of contract. You gave him a chance to make it right, its obvious they can't. Get your $ back and don't deal with them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back