Im Asked What New Vehicles Have The Best Engines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There are no more good engines for four reasons:

1. multiple cylinder deactivation
2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection
4. electric throttle bodies

Eh, I kind of miss VVT in the Focus. It would help mileage and add a little power up top.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: Danno
Sleeper pick.

3.2L 5 cylinder Ford diesel Powerstroke available in 2015 and newer Ford Transits. Built in South Africe, a world engine for Ford.

I didnt know until just now you could get that engine in the US (in the transit). Thats pretty neat. If they threw that into something like a Ranger here, it would probably sell fairly well.

To add to this, it may be too soon to tell from a reliability standpoint, but the Chevy colorado Diesel. 2.8 4 cylinder making like 370 torque and still managing decent fuel economy.

You beat me to the same comment. I have a rear wheel drive, Chevy Colorado pickup with the 2.8L,4 cylinder, turbo diesel engine. Right now, my highway mileage has ranged anywhere from an outstanding 31 - 38mpg (for a pickup - with 370 lbs of torque & a 7500 lb tow rating). This is my first Chevy (I always buy Ford products). If the new Ranger with the 3.2L, 5 cylinder Powerstroke diesel was an option, and is as good as you say it is, it would have made for a very difficult decision. I couldn't wait two + more years to find out. It could be like the current GM small block LS engine vs Ford modular powered engine rivalry.

I predict, the next few years will be the "golden" years for small & mid sized, diesel powered pickups, when Ford, Toyota and others decide to offer them. When that happens, and sales skyrocket, look for the EPA to kill the party of diesel powered small pickups. It is kind of like when 2 stroke mowers where available. I have two 6 1/2 HP Lawn Boy 21" mowers. More powerful, won't bog down in tall grass, and only 80 lbs. The EPA killed them too, in the early 2000's.

I would avoid any AFM, cylinder deactivation if I could....

For a car engine.... hard to be a 4 cylinder Honda. It's been nearly impossible to beat for 30 years in a row now.
For a truck engine... the GM platform is tops. 5.3, 6.0 or 6.2. Robust engines.

Agreed, "best" in reliability and "best" in fuel efficiency is a proven Honda 4-cylinder.
A Toyota 4-cylinder comes in second, but the Toyota car/body will outlast a Honda car as an overall car in getting to 500K miles race.

2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection

Agreed; I miss flathead motors with thermosyphon cooling(no troublesome water pump). With manual spark advance to simplify distributor design. And ditch the battery- a hand crank and a magneto work just fine.

Missed two on Wards Ten Best for many years, Hemi and Pentastar, great power, economy and design.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
Mazda Skyactiv engines are pretty awesome in the 4 cylinder segment!
Agree 100% maybe best engines being built in any segment.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I see the 6.2L Ford Truck engine is not Modular.
Anyone know how durable they are?

They are great. They are the "original" Modular; a shelved design that was brought back due to the displacement options it offered. It is basically a big-bore version of the Modular engine.

Very impressed with my 3.7L Ford. Specs similar to Pentastar ( but without a sexy trade name ) shaping up to be a very reliable performer. Too bad that Ford and Mazda have trouble finding a home for it so soon after launch.

Toyota 5.7 v8. Found in tundras and sequoias. Been around since 2007. Still one of the most powerful smoothest running engines even if fuel mileage isn't up to date.

Best for me have been the 300 6cyl ford, 7.3 powerstroke and a nissan vq I beat to death.

Now I have hyundai and ford di engines. So far so good but all of them except 1 are under 50k miles. The 3.8 hyundai has been trouble free for ~70k now.

I am a little worried about the ecoboost longevity because of the newness but I am commited LOL. I use my 3.5 pretty hard and it seems to be fine so far.

2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection

It's amazing how how much new technology phobia we have here on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: CKN

2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection

It's amazing how how much new technology phobia we have here on BITOG.

Phobia is an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back