I was slightly wrong on the Purolator transition

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the beginning of the year, Purolator released a new design and paint job on their filters, but they actually started redesigning them last summer.

Purolators made in the summer and early fall of 2015 have the new filter in the older cans. But the Synthetic PSL filters of the second half of 2015 isn't quite the same as the boss, since it still has the older wire mesh backing (the Boss has a plastic mesh). However, it does have the slotted center tube.

I cut a PSL14610 made October 8, 2015 (date code F10G08E1) after deciding not to use it because of reported issues with the ADBV tearing on the new filters. While my ADBV wasn't torn (I cut it in the middle), it was kind of stiff. This is when I discovered the wire mesh. This PSL14610 has the new baseplate and wider gasket, along with the louvers.

The innermost layer (against the mash) is like that foam-ish tissue paper you wrap around wine glasses, and then two layers of soft cotton synthetic media on top of that.

Pictures to come tomorrow. I'm still trying to cut the media off the end caps, which is more difficult with the mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back