Baseplate redesign on the Purolator 14610

Status
Not open for further replies.
The older base plate is recessed and conical in shape, while the new design is flatter with threads closer to the end of the can. I noticed this when comparing two Purolator Synthetic PSL14610's in my stash.

F08F11E1 is the old filter's date code
F10G08E1 is the new filter's date code

The new filter is a boss in the old can, so it has the slotted center tube and plastic mesh, along with the textured grip that newer cans lack.

The new baseplate is also significant because Wix makes two filters in this size but different baseplate designs--51356 and 57356; perhaps the new 14610 is more like the 57356 than the 51356.

Also, the new boss has a thicker gasket.

Here is the pic:

25058891721_4a93213591_k.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

F08F11E1 is the old filter's date code
F10G08E1 is the new filter's date code

The new filter is a boss in the old can, so it has the slotted center tube and plastic mesh, along with the textured grip that newer cans lack.

Date codes:
F08F11E1 = Aug 11, 2014
F10G08E1 = Oct 8, 2015.

So the newer can still has the textured grip finish, but the older can doesn't? I thought the older cans did too (?).

These are the "Frankinfilters", a hybrid between the PSL and the Boss before the Boss hits the streets. Guess Purolator needed to use up some old materials or something.

For marketing reasons they probably wanted to roll out the whole line at once so people wouldn't feel left out.

They probably got some incidental real-world testing in without telling anyone either.

Nice eye, OP.

Like the thickened and widened sealing gasket. That is a definite improvement over the previous 14610 design. Wonder if M&H will see fit to have it trickle down to the P1 and red L series. Thinking the base plate redesign consideration might have gone hand in hand with the sealing gasket redesign.

The base plate design still looks user friendly with recessed thread boss. Preferable 'imo' to the protruding from baseplate thread boss design used by some others.

Thank for the pics.

Notice the threads are now closer to the sealing surface in the new design.

Looks like the new design will get a better "bite" on fresh threads now.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Like the thickened and widened sealing gasket. That is a definite improvement over the previous 14610 design. Wonder if M&H will see fit to have it trickle down to the P1 and red L series.

I think it will. Purolator is probably using this redesigned base for all 14610 filters, whether it is the Boss, P1, or Red/Classic. Just like Wix has both a 57356 and a 57356XP, and Napa Silver/Proselect 37356/27356.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Interesting-thought the BOSS was replacing all these? Maybe this was before the new ones?

It is. The boss came out just after these, most likely some time in October or November 2015. But before that, for the last few months, they put the new Boss components in the old blue cans.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
So the newer can still has the textured grip finish, but the older can doesn't? I thought the older cans did too (?).

The older cans have it, but the new cans (the black ones that actually say Boss on them, the brand new filters) do not.

When I said "old cans" in my OP, I'm referring to BOTH filters pictured in my OP. The "new cans" are the black ones that actually say Boss on them.

Old can: (these have textured grip)
792129-20130618061907-purolator-synthetic-oil-filter.jpg

New can: (no textured grip)
2016-01-08%2020.18.54_zpszyhl0xfk.jpg

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
... Purolator is probably using this redesigned base for all 14610 filters, whether it is the Boss, P1, or Red/Classic....

That would make sense, uniform baseplate design across the line. Appears M&H has also dropped the 'classic' name from the Red L series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back