Terrible accident in So Cal last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two families of 8 in a minivan got into minor accident 3:00AM with a car on I5 South to Los Angeles, stopped on shoulder(but not completely) and got hit by a semi-truck.

Fathers got out of front doors but 2 wives and 4 kids could get out of rear doors. They got burnt alive.

Front doors were open then why didn't the two fathers try to get everyone out from front doors ?

Quote:
The two men jumped out of the two front doors and began attempting to pry open the back doors and pull their families out. The doors wouldn’t open.

The minivan had caught fire by the time California Highway Patrol officers arrived, and the back doors were still jammed shut.

“My partner went and tried to get into the van door,” Williams said. “The flames came at him. He had to back out. I grabbed the fire extinguisher, and I tried to extinguish the flames. But like we said, the van burst into flames very, very quickly and we were unable to assist in getting anyone out of the van.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn...alif-car-wreck/

Tragic accident that didn't need to happen.
frown.gif

Heartbreaking. I don't know how anyone can possibly recover from seeing something like that. I hope those two fathers have a lot of support to help them cope.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Very sad.

Why is it that being on the shoulder makes you a magnet for other vehicles?

Quote:
they pulled over to the dark shoulder of the road to inspect the damage, but part of the unwieldy van stuck out into the highway.

I wouldn't stop on shoulder if I don't have at least 5-6 feet clearance from the highway. I prefer 10 feet or more. If possible, in this case it isn't, get off highway and stop at gas station.

I'm not sure if the van had hazard light on while it was on shoulder.

I stopped to tighten a loose wheel one time,I parked so far off the asphalt the car was tipped slightly on the dirt edge of the road.Could have parked another car next to it before getting close to the line.

Originally Posted By: CT8
It is time to ban motor vehicles.

The van driver was at fault, partially.

If there wasn't ample place to stop the van safely, he should signal the other car to exit nearest off ramp.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I stopped to tighten a loose wheel one time,I parked so far off the asphalt the car was tipped slightly on the dirt edge of the road.Could have parked another car next to it before getting close to the line.

My E430 had a flat tire last year on 2 lanes mountain road, nowhere was safe to park the car to change tire, I drove several miles before I found a turn out, the tire was completely destroyed. But I didn't care because I rather be safe than tried to save few bucks.

CharlieBauer asked, "Why is it that being on the shoulder makes you a magnet for other vehicles?"

Because people see you and dopily turn right into you. I used to walk me dog in the gutter because 'm a good neighbor who doesn't let the family dog void on YOUR lawn. AND I APPRECIATE THE SAME CONSIDERATION.

BUT my uncle chewed me a new one stating what I alluded to above. "They'll watch that pretty Samoyed and turn right into you", he said. Kira

My FIL is a truck driver and he has seen many times other truck drivers plowing into the cars that pulled over, even cop cars that have all the flashing lights on. His truck was clipped few times when he had to pull over.

As to why? Most drivers just follow the lights at night or especially at night and during inclement weather when the painted road lines are not as easily visible. Also, lots of truck drivers drive when they are very tired, one reason is the revised log book schedules, another is that they are always being pushed by their dispatchers. Could also be, as Kira mentioned, simply following the "dazzling pretty" lights like deer and other animals.

Pulling over fully on the shoulder with a couple of feet between the lane marking and the care is one thing.

Pulling over on the shoulder with only a few inches clearance, or much worse (as stated by the OP) not completely on the shoulder is way dangerous. If my car stalled in that circumstance I and everyone in the vehicle would abandon ship and get far enough away to avoid getting hit. I would go far enough back on the road to wave at drivers about the dangerous situation up ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back