Old interesting finds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was helping my friend clean out his grandfathers garage. Found this oil can and this cardboard circular can of cottrr pins. I am already using the oil can on some hinges in the house and around the shed.

dop2ye.jpg

fd7jgj.jpg

33w8to0.jpg

jz6wi1.jpg

aw85td.jpg

261z3hk.jpg

I LOVE old stuff like this. The steel in those cotter pins will be of a quality rarely seen today. Great oil can!!

I have another old metal box that folds open with tons of odd sizes of zerk fittings. Just have to find where I put it
smile.gif

In the good old days when you did a lube job you need those cotter pins after re-greasing the front wheel bearings. Then you looked at the chart to make sure you got all the zerk fittings after checking the diff and the transmission fluids. Then it was time to lower the car to the ground, open the hood and finish the lube job making sure that if the bell rang you went out to the fuel pumps to take care of a customer that need gas, windshield clean, fluids checked and finally the tire pressures.

Yup, best job for a qualified teenager, working a lube room with the old man keeping an eye on things (and you
laugh.gif
)... Wish we still had decent lube room jobs for kids to start out on...

Great find on the neat old stuff. Those old Plews oilers are great
smile.gif

No wonder so many are unemployed these days. Heaven forbid we pay $1 more for a container of cotter pins.

Neat find!

Yeah, I have two old boxes with small to medium hose clamps also. A old pipe wrench I tried to wire brush up so I could tell the name. All I could see was Bethlehem PA

Originally Posted By: car51
Was helping my friend clean out his grandfathers garage. Found this oil can and this cardboard circular can of cottrr pins. I am already using the oil can on some hinges in the house and around the shed.

dop2ye.jpg

I had one just like that. It was well over 50 years old. Finally wore it out. Here are a couple of replacements.

Here is the bottom part,

here is the top part.

Actually I had to solder the pickup piece to the top of the lid. Let it sit for a hour and works like a new one now
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back