What is your opinion of OLD OIL?

Good video that shows some basic eye tests to see if old oil has already started getting unusable. Especially, the fact of outside contamination w/open bottle etc. Anti-foam additives no longer doing their job couldn't be more obvious for anyone to see...LOL. Along with dark oil color from the old oils were apparent. What's ironic about some oil companies saying five year shelf life coincides with a filter company telling me their oil filters have a five year life too. This is all interesting!

Last edited:
He said some additives have slightly acidic properties. Keep in mind he's talking oil that is 10-20 yrs old.
tan_1.jpg

tan_2.jpg

** excerpt from an article ref. Tan and TBN by Adam Cutler of Oil Analysis Laboratories

The fact that some blenders specify a date and some don't, tells me that it's either not tested or not a big issue for them or the consumer. Granted there's too many variables to account for every situation. I imagine there's some bottles in auto parts/walmart stores that sit on shelves for quite a while, judging by the layers of dust. But if this was such a critical issue, I would imagine an expiration/best by date would be listed clearly on the bottle or have some legal jargon and just not in their FAQ section.
Problem is that blenders don't want to provide specific storage requirements. It's motor oil after all that's intended to be used upon purchase rather than horded like for decades.

View attachment 199302

View attachment 199303

** excerpt from an article ref. Tan and TBN by Adam Cutler of Oil Analysis Laboratories
Ya well we'll see what the TBN is. He didn't say what he expected that a UOA would reveal. Do you have any suggestions on why the color of these 20 yr old oils went from clear to black? The only oil that stayed relative clear with no fallout was vintage Mobil 1 PAO/Gr 1 blend. That oil pre-dated the PAO/Ester blend.

Ya well we'll see what the TBN is. He didn't say what he expected that a UOA would reveal. Do you have any suggestions on why the color of these 20 yr old oils went from clear to black? The only oil that stayed relative clear with no fallout was vintage Mobil 1 PAO/Gr 1 blend. That oil pre-dated the PAO/Ester blend.
HDPE containers have moderate O2 permeability and minor HOH permeabilty.

I am running 45 year old Sunoco oil in my lawn mowers. I change it at will when its dirty looking. Would I run this in my car. No. I have seen globs. and odd colors coming from the bottle at the bottom. Does Old oil does not have he same specs as new old right? Moisture, is the biggest problem and we know some will enter the container. Especially the stuff I'm using as there is no foil seal. Do I shake the bottles? sometimes I do and sometimes not. one of my mowers has some rod knock. It was a trash find and the knock hasn't got worse or better. I have a generator that has a rod knock as well and I have only used new properly spec. oil. This was used and had knock when i got it. The knock has got worse over time but I run it hard. In conclusion, as stated do what you want but just know its not as good as new and "I has the potential of doing damage because of contamination"

The last time I checked with Conoco Phillips (now Phillips 66) the "use by" recommendation was 5 years. What prompted me to call them was a PA parts store where I unknowingly bought some Kendall GT 20w-50 that was 7 years old. The Conoco rep arranged for me to exchange it at a distributor in VA.

I have been using 10 year old oil for years. Just shake and pour!
Maybe I should rethink this?

I have seen cloudy globs and strands come out of 5w-20 Napa Synthetic that was about 10 years old. `06 Odyssey ran good on it!

My `97 Ram has 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum in it, that has all that dark sediment at the bottom of the yellow jug. It runs good too!

I need to move my methods of operation to Just In Time Oil!
I still have some Pennzoil from 1968 “with Z-7 additive”. Have case of it in 10w20 and maybe 8 QS Delixe 10w30 from early 70’s. Used both in a 97’ Bonneville; never an issue. Probably use the Pennzoil in other 09’ Focus real soon.

Interesting topic:
How old is too old for keeping oil around the shop, garage or tool shed out in the back yard?
What is you opinion of additive fallout?
Do you shake your containers before adding the oil to the engine?

That guy obviously knows Jack squat about oil. Think I got dumber watching that. 👎👎

I watched this video last night and was pretty disappointed. I'm glad he is respecting his father and his legacy, but he should go back to oil school. He has often shilled oil analysis and the one thing he could have done to prove those oils were still good: he didnt do oil analysis.
I left a comment and he replied any sediment in bottle is an automatic fail. Not sure by what measure, but a lot of oil will get dumped if people follow

I found vid interesting. Will be following to see what the lab analyses show about the oil(s).

Since additive dropout/fallout mentioned earlier, in the past I've seen it most in Pennzoil Synthetics, PP. As mentioned, just shook the jug and used.

Thanks CB.
There was someone here a while back who used Quaker State oil from the 70's in his modern car, then did a UOA and it came back fine.

Back