-40* pour test video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I mentioned above that referencing the pour points alone from the manufacturers (ie M1 vs. RP) would have led you to opposite results. Guess that's why oil is tested independently to verify those mfg claims.

Pour point results are also not done simply the way it was done in the video, and is somewhat subjective of a test. That's another reason that MRV exists. I do glance at pour point when looking at an oil, but I don't use a pour point to determine a winter oil choice, nor would I ever allow a pour point to override what I see before the "w" on the grade.

Note that RP 15w-40 has a ridiculously low pour point, well below -40. I wouldn't use it at those temperatures, though. Castrol Edge 5w-30 A3/B4 has a higher pour point than RP 15w-40. I would, however, use the Edge as a year round fill here.

TiredTrucker has never used a 0w-XX. I have, but not out of some fear that a 5w-XX wasn't doing the trick. I tried GC and RP 0w-40 back in the day with the old Audi, since jugs of A3/B4 type stuff didn't exist. That's when I first started with Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: cobra7279
Did anyone notice that it took like six seconds to put the Amsoil bottle on after he put the mobil bottle on

Yes, I noticed it too.
I love the Amsoil. Doing 15 000 miles OCI with no problems at all.
I still want to do the 25 000 mile run....will be fun.

Yeah funny test. Shows me that Mobil 1 is the least likely to do a good job lubricating. And it is very likely a much thinner base than advertised.

Originally Posted By: Exhaustgases
Yeah funny test. Shows me that Mobil 1 is the least likely to do a good job lubricating. And it is very likely a much thinner base than advertised.

When you say "base" I assume you mean base stock. Where have you seen the viscosity of the base stocks of M1 oils advertised?

And in regards to the ability of M1 to do a good job of lubricating, I guess I thought it did OK in all my cars for a million miles, combined. Would one of the other oils (based on this video) have done a better job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back