-40* pour test video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
The m1 bottle has a bigger opening.
the amsoil has a long neck.

they should have frozen the oil in 4 identical containers.

I'm thinking they did a follow up video using identical containers with the brand of oil written on them.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I'm thinking they did a follow up video using identical containers with the brand of oil written on them.

That would be a more fair representation.

I lived in MO and NE, I did my oil changes with dino at wallys.
One winter I woke up and it was -18F, my little Honda 4 banger sounded like a diesel tank, since then I have gone with synthetic oil for winter vehicles.

The retest on youtube proved the containers didn't make any difference.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
This proves nothing as a test. How does that reflect the same oil in a moving engine? The WM oil wouldnt cause any issues.
It demonstrates how long if at all how long it would take for the oil in the sump to reach the oil pump and then actually be pumped.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It looks like Mobil was the clear winner of that "test." The question is what does it prove?

It proves that the larger opening of the M1 bottle allows it to escape the bottle faster.

Agreed this keeps popping up here....the test needs to be redone with the same containers/beakers used to give the oips the same chance of flowing.

Edit: just watched the 2nd video....glad it was done...if not right, then at least better.

Last edited:
If anyone loves this test, they should choose their oil solely by pour point and ignore SAE grade. This is simply a barely reasonable facsimile of a pour point test. The YouTube fellow could have saved his bandwidth simply by looking at the data sheets for the oils involved, many of which have pour points. He should stick to GC or Co-op 0w-40 if he's impressed by pour point.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
It looks like Mobil was the clear winner of that "test." The question is what does it prove?

It proves that the larger opening of the M1 bottle allows it to escape the bottle faster.

Agreed this keeps popping up here....the test needs to be redone with the same containers/beakers used to give the oips the same chance of flowing.

Edit: just watched the 2nd video....glad it was done...if not right, then at least better.

Yes the second test removed the container opening size as a variable. It's still odd to me that Amsoil has the best pour point of the four and didn't do as well as the Mobil 1.

At kv 100 them all being in the same ball park of 11cst the m1 will pour better out of that gaping hole. I like those bottles. O,and 5w is a -35 deal innit? -40 is for the 0w iirc.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
-40 what? C or F?
33.gif

My dad and I used to pour different brands into mason jars when I was growing up and the lows were -30F or colder. He'd make me time their flow into a container and graph it. Real life math with Dad. Anyway, Mobil 1 was always top. Not a surprise to me. The last time I did it was about 18 years ago, so things may have changed since then...

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Yes the second test removed the container opening size as a variable. It's still odd to me that Amsoil has the best pour point of the four and didn't do as well as the Mobil 1.
Fugures lie and liars figure?

It proves beyond doubt that oil thicken as the temps drop and you need to choose the proper oil for the seasons.

Originally Posted By: CT8
It proves beyond doubt that oil thicken as the temps drop and you need to choose the proper oil for the seasons.

True but they were all 5W30 oils, so the average Joe might think they should perform close to one another in the cold. That test would also prove him wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back