Does this estimate sound reasonable (brakes)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're padding the labor because you're bringing your own parts.

I believe labor would be lower if they could sell you the parts they want to sell you and make a profit there as well.

Here's the thing, $599 for labor is pretty high, but the garage is taking a significant risk too. Once you start turning wrenches on a 24-year-old pickup with parts that someone else supplies, a routine 2-3 hour job can become a week-long nightmare in a hurry.

Yep they might not want to deal with it except for a pretty penny or the first price they gave out was the gouge price to see if he'd take the bait. Also known as the dummy estimate.

The bottom line is that you only bring your parts if you do NOT ask for the labor estimate.

If you can't do that, you and your mechanic do not have the relationship to allow you to bring your parts in.

I've decided to get a couple more estimates next week. Who knows, maybe I can get a better deal.

Thanks for all the advice, it's been quite helpful.

Labor rates of $70-120/Hr in many parts of the US. So 5-8 hours of work...not too far off.

Some of you got me thinking that I should do the work myself, so that's what I'm doing. I've done drum brakes before, but have never worked on discs. As I'm mid-way into getting the calipers and rotors off, installing new pads doesn't seem to be a big challenge. Watched a few youtubes vids before I started. Right now I'm getting ready to put the new wheel bearings on. My spindles cleaned up nice, and are in excellent shape. Hopefully by tomorrow, I'll have it all back together.

Update:

I finished the brakejob (w/new wheel bearings) yesterday. It was definitely a chore, especially at my age with a bad back! But at least I didn't have to fork out money to have it done. Truck brakes perfectly now in a straight line with no squeaking. BTW, all the parts came from O'Reilly's (ceramic pads, calipers, rotors, master cylinder, hoses, bearings) and there were no fitment issues with anything.

Last edited:
So how many hours did it take *you* to do this work? Do you think a professional should should have been able to do that in less than half the time?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
So how many hours did it take *you* to do this work? Do you think a professional should should have been able to do that in less than half the time?

I'd guess about 8-9 hours work total. That also includes flushing front/rear brake lines, greasing the front-suspension and rotating 4 wheels. Keep in mind, this was my first time dealing with disc brakes technology, so there was a slight learning curve. Although, as I see it now, there doesn't seem to be much rocket science with discs as I had feared.

Sounds like you did a good job!

Did you grease up the sliding pins in the calipers? I forgot to with my 96' C1500 and the inner brake pads wore out, then I replaced the pads again and greased it all up. It even stopped better!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Sounds like you did a good job!

Did you grease up the sliding pins in the calipers? I forgot to with my 96' C1500 and the inner brake pads wore out, then I replaced the pads again and greased it all up. It even stopped better!

Yes, a special brake grease on the pins and on a couple of friction points per/caliper.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
A bit high since you're supplying all the parts I think. And the fact you're supplying parts, there will be no warranty

This was my thoughts as well. I would shop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back