Engine temperature going up & down, bad thermosta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't have time to check for stream if is coming out or not. Going to check it once I get a chance.

Originally Posted By: Rohan
I didn't have time to check for stream if is coming out or not. Going to check it once I get a chance.

You don't need to check for it. Steam would be gushing from under the hood if there was a crack in the radiator upper or lower tank. Since you didn't see this, your tanks don't have a crack.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

You don't need to check for it. Steam would be gushing from under the hood if there was a crack in the radiator upper or lower tank. Since you didn't see this, your tanks don't have a crack.

I gave up for this overheating issue and I'm going to take it to the mechanics shop tomorrow and see what he say.

I gave up for this overheating issue and I'm going to take it to the mechanics shop tomorrow and see what he say.

Is it still overheating at idle after replacing the temperature switch?

Yes

Yes

You may need to consider a new radiator, did you do the experiment I recommended to check a clogged radiator

Yes

It makes no sense that the fan still doesn't start until the engine overheats. Perhaps your thermometer is wrong. I agree with you that you should quit DIY at this point and take it to a mechanic.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy

Yes

You may need to consider a new radiator, did you do the experiment I recommended to check a clogged radiator

The flow of the radiator from the bottom is good when I'm draining it.

Yes

It makes no sense that the fan still doesn't start until the engine overheats. Perhaps your thermometer is wrong. I agree with you that you should quit DIY at this point and take it to a mechanic.

The fans do come on before it starts to overheat though.

The mechanics shop was closed today and don't open until Monday. I did look at the radiator deeper and remember I said I have leak underneath the radiator well turn out to be that might be leaking from the return hose that goes to the overflow tank and I also find out other issue that was the top bushing mount on one side is worn out that causes to make fan loud noise and vibration. I'm going to fix that on Monday morning going to head to the junk yard to buy the bushing mount and buy the new return hose from the part store. I hope that return hose stop the leak and overheating issue.

You might want to replace the radiator cap as well. However, if you will buy a new radiator, it comes with a cap.

Perhaps you have water-pump or radiator issues.

I don't see why the overflow hose would leak -- it's not pressurized. The coolant you see may be from draining/filling/overflow. Always completely wash any coolant to protect animals.

I did put the new return hose. Let say I have a bad radiator well that make car to overheat at idling?

Your broken fan probably isn't capable of pulling enough heat out of the radiator. That's why it only overheats at idle.

If it doesn't overheat while driving, it could be that you have a very bad fan. Otherwise, it could be the radiator or just the radiator cap. Water pump is another possibility as I mentioned.

I would think it would be obvious if the fan wasn't OK.

Since you are having so much problem troubleshooting this, it may save time and money if you take it to a decent mechanic.

@Gokhan ,

Yeah you are right about that and I'm going to soon for now I'm going to drive it and try to avoid overheating rising. It will be 4 month when I get a chance to report back because of the jobs I have no time now.

Updated;

Put in other used fan today from the junkyard and after this no more overheat. Old fan was wobbling and this was the Denso OEM radiator fan that went bad at 420k miles. Now i have to see how long will a/c fan last.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back