Finally got to drive my Camaro!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great project car you have there! It has more of a "sleeper" look with those factory wheels that people associate with the V6 Camaros.

I had a '93 Z-28 (first year of the 4th Gen Camaro) that I bought used when I was on active duty in my mid-20s. Really fun car for not a lot of money; sort of a poor man's Corvette. I kept mine stock and sold it after a couple of years. It performed well, but I can imagine really kicking booty with a 6.0L putting out 400+ hp. Good luck with yours!

Well.....I had to put the 6.0L build on the back burner, My oldest daughter will be driving in a few months, She will get the wife's Toyota & I got to buy a new car for the wife.

The good news, I installed the Hooker Exhaust & matching Headers, Man....I love this Exhaust!!! No banging, No Drone or Rasp!!! I didn't like the Quad tips 'til I got the system on the car. The sound is very mellow at Idle & Cruise, Gets pretty loud at WOT.

Glad I got the 304 Stainless Headers, The Ceramic Coated mild steel BBK's are showing rust spots in the coating after just a year of service.

While I had the exhaust off, I yanked the transmission & installed a 3000-3200 stall Circle-D 278mm Torque Converter, Get's the 5.3L into it's torque band instantaneously but not real loose at part throttle, I have a Staked Plate Auxiliary Cooler to install....Just got to figure where to install it.

Headers, Reducers, Mufflers & Tips are 304, Pipes are 409. They have a full 304 system that is a $300 premium over the 409, Being in Texas I don't think it would be worth the extra expense, If I lived in the rust belt I would probably spring for the 304.

VERY nice to see it come together. I am disappointed the 6.0 got the axe, they are very capable street engines even in cathedral port models. Their torque is quite impressive.

I have an old 6.0 out of a van that could easily make 500 hp with about 6-10 psi...

The 6.0L build is just put on hold, The longblock I bought is pretty much junk. I will find another pullout shortly & have it built for next year, I will probably have the settle for stock "317" cathedrals.

I did find a LS3 longblock for $4500 but I think it's stolen....So I passed. Besides I would have to buy a 58X to 24X converter box or change the Crank Reluctor & Cam Gear.

Then again Boosting my 5.3L is also an option.....

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I did find a LS3 longblock for $4500 but I think it's stolen....So I passed. Besides I would have to buy a 58X to 24X converter box or change the Crank Reluctor & Cam Gear.

That's A LOT for just a used long block when you can get a COMPLETE (for the most part), BRAND NEW Chevy Performance parts LS3 crate engine for ~$5700.00 for the factory 430 horse version, or ~$6250.00 for the 'Hot Cammed' 480 horse version.

I am thinking of doing the latter, even though I barely trust the Lingenfelter conversion box needed to make it work without a full bottom end rebuild on a brand new engine just to get that blasted 58 tooth reluctor off and my 24 tooth one on the crank.

We would also need the cam position sensor harness extensions, and a drill and tap job to install our knock sensors into the side of the block, instead of in the valley, were they reside now in our early LSxes.

The stock LS3 knock sensors will NOT 'talk to' our LS1 ECM.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

That's A LOT for just a used long block when you can get a COMPLETE (for the most part), BRAND NEW Chevy Performance parts LS3 crate engine for ~$5700.00 for the factory 430 horse version, or ~$6250.00 for the 'Hot Cammed' 480 horse version.

I am thinking of doing the latter, even though I barely trust the Lingenfelter conversion box needed to make it work without a full bottom end rebuild on a brand new engine just to get that blasted 58 tooth reluctor off and my 24 tooth one on the crank.

We would also need the cam position sensor harness extensions, and a drill and tap job to install our knock sensors into the side of the block, instead of in the valley, were they reside now in our early LSxes.

Sorry, It was a complete LS3 with a TR6060, A/C Compressor & E38 PCM where the only missing items, But still would have been a Longblock with Intake & Injectors for my intended purposes. Seller could not (Would not) verify where the Engine came from. When I asked if Fort Worth PD could come by & confirm it wasn't stolen. They left in a hurry.

The morality aspect aside, I have known people that lost their whole car over a stolen engine.

LS3's are hot items in the used engine market. It's hard to find one at about the same price you could buy a new crate engine for.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Can't you just swap to an LS1 knock sensor?

No, there is NO room under the LS3 intake manifold, and also NO valley cover which will accept the LS1's knock sensor system/harness.

The threads AND the diameter of the LS3's block holes for their knock sensor system are too small to accept the LS1 knock sensors, hence the drilling and tapping requirement.

Sorry, It was a complete LS3 with a TR6060, A/C Compressor & E38 PCM where the only missing items, But still would have been a Longblock with Intake & Injectors for my intended purposes. Seller could not (Would not) verify where the Engine came from. When I asked if Fort Worth PD could come by & confirm it wasn't stolen. They left in a hurry.

OK. you did not mention the TR6060 (which are what, almost $5K now new by themselves??) was included, and I thought it was even minus the intake/injectors/fuel rail/front cover/etc. for that price, like most of what are labelled 'long blocks'.

In that case YES, I would put money on that assembly being stolen.
wink.gif

OK. you did not mention the TR6060 (which are what, almost $5K now new by themselves??) was included, and I thought it was even minus the intake/injectors/fuel rail/front cover/etc. for that price, like most of what are labelled 'long blocks'.

In that case YES, I would put money on that assembly being stolen.
wink.gif

I thought long & hard about buying it......In the end I'm glad I didn,t, I didn't want to spend my entire vacation working on a car this year.

Finally scored a suitable engine for my car, I had just about given up.....I realized demand is real high, But a 200,000 mile LQ4 pullout is NOT worth $1800. In fact I couldn't find any Gen 3 engines with less than 150,000.

I was drinking some beer with a friend last weekend talking cars & all that, I mentioned I was looking for a 6.0L LQ4/LQ9 for my car.
He said he still has the 6.2L L92 that I helped him pull out of a 2009 Escalade about 3 years ago which I had completely forgot about. Problem was it was in the back of his mom's garage (She's a Hoarder!) A deal was stuck for $2000 & I have to help him get it out of there.

What a brutal, nasty experience! It was 108 degrees, Rats/Mice had been nesting in the garage & the urine smell was overwhelming, On top of that.....I have a very weak stomach for certain smells (Urine, Pieces, Death) & gives me dry heaves, He was making fun & I felt like hitting him in the face a few times, But I got the engine home after 6 hours, Gave him the money & told him too have fun putting all that nasty JUNK back in there!!

Performed a Leak-Down on all 8 cylinders....About 15 percent across the board (Very good for a engine that has sit so long), Pulled both Valve Covers to back the Rockers off for the Leak-Down....Looks pretty good.

For those of you not familiar with L92 engines, It is basically a small cam LS3 with VVT, The Valves are not Sodium Filled, The Pistons have Valve Reliefs where the LS3 has flat tops (Same piston used in L99 VVT/AFM engines), And of coarse the Truck Intake, Drive accessories, & Oil Pan.

Here's some picture after getting in home, And some after removing the Harness, Intake & Accessories and a little clean up.

My buddy painted the Valve Covers black, I will swap those with the Covers on my 5.3L....I hate rattle can spray paint!!

Plans for the 6.2L......

Use the 3-bolt Comp XER273HR Camshaft that I already have.
Brian Tooley Hardened .080" wall thickness Push Rods (7.400" long).
LS3 Timing Cover (VVT Delete).
Hinson C5-R Timing Chain.
LS2 Timing Chain Damper (Deleting the failure prone Timing Chain Tensioner)
LS2 (1x) 3-bolt Cam Gear. (Compatible with my Gen 3 PCM).
LS7 Lifters.
Brian Tooley/PAC Dual .650" Lift Valve Springs with Tool Steel Retainers, New Locks & Valve Guide Seals.
Comp Rocker Trunnion Kit, (Keeps the Rocker needle bearings in place).
GM LS3 Intake, Reusing my Aeromotive Fuel Rails with the EV6 L92 Injectors.
GM LS3 Head Gaskets.
GM LS3 Head Bolts.
Super low Mileage L99 Balancer that I already have.
LS3 Valley Cover with built-in PCV

I have to remove the Crankshaft & swap the Gen 4 58X Reluctor for a Gen 3 24X reluctor, Use the Crank Sensor out of the 5.3L, Drill & Tap the knock sensor holes to 10mm/1.50, Make a Cam Sensor extension harness for the front mounted Cam Sensor.

Any thought?? Hoping for 450 RWHP......

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You going to put a cam in it? It makes 403HP stock, which is pretty darn good by itself IMHO.

I have to, My Gen 3 (P59) PCM cannot control the VVT Cam Phaser, & the Cam Sensor Relutor is 4X, Where I need a 1X signal. The only 1X Cam Gear available is a 3-bolt design vs the 1-bolt VVT Cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back