Jeep Cherokee Heater Valve - Brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My brother has his 1991 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L back on the road. Heater valve is leaking. Anybody know of any good brands? My grandfather had 2 put in his 96' Cherokee at a Napa AutoCare center and they both leaked, I replaced with3 O'Reilly's heater valves, they all leaked. It now has a Parts Authority one in it and it's leaking again. They all leak out of where the little metal arm goes into it where the cable is attached to adjust temperature. The OEM one never leaked years back, but Napa replaced the heater hoses due to age and did the valve as a preventative measure.

The 91' has what we believe is the original. Any good brands? Or just go OEM? Wasn't sure if there's any upgraded ones or something.

BTW this is not the heater core.

It's a bad design and the least offenders are genuine Jeep/Fiat replacements. You can buy an OEM have have it leak in a few years or buy aftermarket and replace them every year (or sooner). I've got three Jeeps that have had theirs replaced with the cheap aftermarkets and the replacements have all leaked. A few people on some Jeep boards have eliminated theirs completely.

I owned a 78 trans am that had NO heater control valve, and the factory service manual did not show one either. bigger model pontiacs had valves.
bad on AC performance as heater core was always hot, even tho no air flow thru it.
fix was a standard water valve mounted on fender, turn on in november, off in april.
parts manager at part house had one on his firebird also

I owned a 78 trans am that had NO heater control valve, and the factory service manual did not show one either. bigger model pontiacs had valves.
bad on AC performance as heater core was always hot, even tho no air flow thru it.
fix was a standard water valve mounted on fender, turn on in november, off in april.
parts manager at part house had one on his firebird also

all the chinese jeep stuff may be made in one factory.
so much for NAPA feedback to the company "hey guys, you are making junk!!"
Wonder what contact the US auto parts places have with the manufacturers or do they just buy the cheapest?
Bet the Japanese send someone to check them out.

All the aftermarket ones are probably made by Murray/Four Seasons/Comfort Temp by Standard Motor Products.A decent enough name,but seemingly quality (like everybody elses) has taken a nosedive over the past 10 years.Buy a Mopar NOS one,then you know its equal to whats original.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
all the chinese jeep stuff may be made in one factory.
so much for NAPA feedback to the company "hey guys, you are making junk!!"
Wonder what contact the US auto parts places have with the manufacturers or do they just buy the cheapest?
Bet the Japanese send someone to check them out.

NAPA just contracts to a manufacturer/marketer,they have no input into the "Quality" of the product.If they don't like how a vendor is making/charging for the product they will just drop one brand for another(Campbell Chain to Security Chain,Victor seals and gaskets to Fel Pro...etc).The brands that do good to keep up with NAPAs demand for restock inventory get the "Spirit of NAPA" award yearly.They don't hand out the "Dregs Of All NAPA Suppliers" Award to shame lousy product.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Buy a Mopar NOS one,then you know its equal to whats original.

Even that statement has some uncertainty. My last Jeep crankshaft position sensor that I installed, part number 68281273AA-001, was made in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back