Extended Warranty Requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The clause is buried somewhere in the fine print. Lets say you buy a lifetime warranty and the car has a book value of $2,000 and needs $2,500 in repairs. They cut you a check for 2 grand, you keep the car, they end the warranty and you decide what you want to do with the car. Bottom line is lifetime warranties aren't really lifetime warranties as some people think they might be.

Yep. Chrysler was offering a lifetime warranty on Cummins engines for a time up here. When a Dodge truck is 30 years old and has a million miles on it, and the Cummins finally gives up the ghost, I have a feeling that Chrysler will neither be doing a rebuild nor installing a crate engine. The chequebook will come out, instead.

That's what happens. I made a lot of money from pre-selling extended warranties. They're a cash cow.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Ironically, the Cummins warranty up here wasn't even an add on, it was standard for a time.

Oh ok. The warranties I'm referring to are typically sold at dealerships. Many times the profit on the warranty exceeded the profit on the car.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

You bought MBUSA extended warranty ?

No - it was one of the companies that calls your house around dinner time.

The MB one is usually the best, but not all qualify for it. There are dealers around the country that will discount it so you can save $1000 or more by buying it from another dealer in another state. As others said, it's a huge profit source at the dealer.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Oh ok. The warranties I'm referring to are typically sold at dealerships. Many times the profit on the warranty exceeded the profit on the car.

Oh yes, I've certainly heard of those, too. The G37's lifetime engine warranty was another outlier, simply the dealer wishing me to get all my oil changes done there. I highly doubt that, say, five or ten years from now, they'd be splurging to rebuild or replace an Infiniti 3.7 litre engine, and would likely be giving me a cheque, instead. That's in most of the oil companies' oil warranties that I've read, too.

i bought the extended warranty for my malibu when i bought it new at the dealer. i work on cars for a living but there are a lot of lot of new things in cars. the last extended warranty i had on my impala payed off. i payed like maybe 2k for it and they payed out out i think 4-6k.

The EW I mentioned in the first post was offered by our credit union. When I went back to CR and had it cancelled, the gal there said that she had the EW on her vehicle and never had a problem and that she only changes oil based on OLM. I asked her if she had ever had a warranty issue that the EW was supposed to cover. She said no. Well then, how can you know you never had a problem if you have never had an occasion to use the EW and find out? Kinda like saying a person never has had a problem with sea sickness because they have never ridden on a ship at sea.

When we bought the Durango, the dealership attempted to sell us the Chrysler MaxCare warranty for....get this...$4,000!! I immediately said no and we moved on to the next item in the sales process. As he was typing the sales bill, I started reading the brochure on the MaxCare warranty. Then I got my phone out and looked online. Surprisingly, the warranty didn't look half bad since it cover about 5,500 parts on the car (no including wearable items.)

Fast forward about 6 months later and I was reading a thread in the Durango forum where several people were talking up a guy in Kansas selling MaxCare warranties dirt cheap. Turns out, this guy's dad owned the dealership he works at and he sells them near cost just so he gets the sales volume. Chrysler supposedly gives vacation bonuses to people who sell a certain number of warranties. This guy just wanted the vacation. Two phone calls and a couple emails later, I had a MaxCare warranty on my Durango. Any service will be performed by a Chrysler dealer with Mopar parts. There is a $100 deductible per incident. Also Includes towing, rental, vacation protection, etc. Haven't used it yet but others on the forum who have had good things to say about it.

Normally I'm not a extended warranty type of guy but I plan on keeping this Durango till it dies or till I give it to my son to drive when he turns 16.....if I haven't worn it out.

The local Ford Dealer does those lifetime warranties on all new and used vehicles they sell.

The good:
Service interval and lube spec; follow the owners manual.

The bad:
Warranty says must be serviced by legit licensed service facility. $7850 limit on engine replacement.

From talking to techs I hear the owner will stand behind if you have recepts. If not it's a case by case basis.

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
i bought the extended warranty for my malibu when i bought it new at the dealer. i work on cars for a living but there are a lot of lot of new things in cars. the last extended warranty i had on my impala payed off. i payed like maybe 2k for it and they payed out out i think 4-6k.

As others have indicated, I probably wouldn't have much to grouse about with an OEM extended warranty. One offered by some warranty company might be another matter altogether. And, of course, it also depends what hoops they have built into the contract.

Lets say you needed a new engine and transmission, and you are 3,000 miles from home.
The total bill that includes towing, hotel, meals and repairs is $20,000.
With 3rd party coverage, would it be pay 1st and submit the warranty claim 2nd?

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Lets say you needed a new engine and transmission, and you are 3,000 miles from home.
The total bill that includes towing, hotel, meals and repairs is $20,000.
With 3rd party coverage, would it be pay 1st and submit the warranty claim 2nd?

Tell the repair facility that you have a warranty and they will try to get an approval from xyz warranty co. for the repairs.

I bought the extended warranty on a new Sentra (hooray for year-old leftovers!) tonight. It was $1650 from Nissan, so I'm hoping that it will provide some comfort over the next five years. Can't wait to take it on the highway this weekend and break it in!

I saw no where in the Dodge lifetime warranty that they could buy back the vehicle. Not that I am doubting it may be buried in there. There were stipulations. Dodge 3/4 ton with Hemi only, not Cummins were covered. It has free towing on it, one day repair, if they can't fix it, they give you a car. They cover about everything on it. Head gaskets, water pumps, etc.. I just had the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced last year for free. No deductible. Even if they buy the truck back for a catastrophic failure. They cover all the medium sized repairs that kill you after 120,000 miles. It's already 10 years old and still under warranty. That's pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
My Dodge has the Lifetime warranty. Under power train warranty until 2077. It has some crazy requirements. Full synthetic in rear- ends changed every 15,000 miles/ transmission fluid and both filters every 60,000 miles ( which is long, I think). Oil changes, never longer than 6,000 / 6 months. It gets changed about every 4000. It has to go in every 5 years for a check up by a authorized Dodge dealer. I just took it in for its 10 year with its log book. I do 80% of my own service. The dealer said we don't care about the book. Truck looks good, well cared for, fluids clean. See you in 5 years. Guess if there was a problem, they would want to see it.

Please copy documentation and post here to show 70+ years of remaining power train warranty period to 2077.

Please include the disclaimers if there are any.

Last edited:
Years ago when I knew too little, a dealership convinced me to purchase an upfront Winn's extended drive train warranty on a vehicle I purchased from them. The "package" required you to include the Winn's additives at regular servicings (oil, trans, diff, fuel, etc.). After one or two uses of the additives I decided I didn't want to continue.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: virginoil

Still unclear where the 2077 year of warranty expire comes from.

??

I am after the lifetime warranty claimed here 61 year extension to power-train warranty or was it miss type.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back