Friends who take advantage of you for auto repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're being asked to do far more than a "friendly request". Full brake job? Daughters car work for 12-14 hrs? That's a bit much, especially when your friend has money, you're out of work, and he knows this.

I smell a rat.....

You have a valuable skill, so value it. Value your time as well. Wrench turning isn't for knuckle-heads. Tools in the hands of the later can wreck havoc. Furthermore, there's an entire class of male, white-collar types who are absolutely clueless when it comes to fixing anything. I know a few like this. There's also a set that think manual labor is beneath them.

When a neighbor asks me to work on his truck, I charge him by the hour and ask to be paid in cash. He knows I'll do an excellent job, point out things I see and have the tools to do it. So it's a win/win. However, I had to ensure I was going to win as well before I said "OK".

Value your skill, talent, knowledge and time as a tool user & problem solver. Putting air in a kids bike is one thing, however a complete brake job......

I'll end with a story...

I lost both of my parents due to cancer by the time I was 18. I lived with a fraternal aunt & uncle for awhile during Summers when away from college. I bought a clunker of a car, bags of parts and spent a lot of time working on it to make it reliable.

I got teased a lot by the uncle and his only son (older than I), for always working on this car, fixing this, building that. I was also in engineering school. In hindsight, I know see they were both insecure & jealous. They preferred to be indoors, in the A/C, watching stupid TV shows, while I was out in the garage, covered in insect repellant, sweating like crazy, turning my own wrench.

I was hungry, they weren't.

After I graduated, got my first job, I bought a SAAB. Oh the teasing just got worse. I was determined to take care of it (my first new car), and drive it for a very long time. And I did: 14yrs & 256,000mi. (Even drove it from Winnipeg to Vancouver and spent time in Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise and day hiking in the Canadian Rockies
08.gif
)

The uncle is long since dead and his son now has his mother living with him, still taking care of him! Since she's now > 80, I would think this situation is backwards...

She often remarks how "lucky" I am to be able to fix so many things (plumbing, electrical, construction, car, cook, electronic equipment, roof my own house, etc.) While I am fortunate to do these things, luck had nothing to do with it: I was out sweating in their garage, at night, getting dirty and learning to turn my own wrench, still a teenager, and have been refining those skills ever since.

You may have a similar story in that you're fixing what needs to be in your own life, while others are watching TV. You've no doubt honed your skills over the years. Your friend certainly sees this and values your abilities. I suggest you value them at least as much as he does...and charge accordingly.

I am not a mechanic but I work in IT. I no longer fix computers for ANYONE who asks. It got to the point where I was spending 5 or 6 hours a week fixing stuff for people ... and of course they would never pay for the labor and getting them to pay for parts was always nearly impossible Well you must have a spare somewhere. Yeah, no.

It's a tough call. As with any profession, there are just some people that will try and take advantage of a friend, family member, or acquaintances knowledge and ability. Be it Auto Mechanics, Computers, or whatever.

I learned early on while working on consumer cars as a Master Tech, that if you perform a task for a 'friend' etc. for a heavily reduced cost or even free, that often in their mind that's exactly what your knowledge and ability is worth.

From that point forward they will not value your time or ability.

I've long since moved on from consumer car repair for a living. But I still have my tools, and have kept current with any advances in Automotive Repair.

These days I'm rarely home to be asked to work on someones car. But for the select few that value my time and ability (Parents, Sister, select friends) I'll make an exception.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
It's a though call as to where to draw the line, however the sooner the line is drawn, the better the chances of the friendship continuing.

There wasn't any friendship here, OP was taken advantage by some acquaints, to me they are not friends by any mean.

It seems on this specific topic the phrase " no good deed goes un-punished" applies.

Also this topic is about boundaries and the question of where to set those boundaries.At what point do these relationships become abusive on us, by the people getting the free of discounted work? Are we having fun doing this work or is it a chore dumped on us by an oblivious person?

I have cut back significantly on amount of work on other peoples vehicles because of the questions above.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Hi guys,
I'm the kind of guy that's always fixing things for people, kids bikes, cars and plumbing....This just doesn't feel right to me.
...I don't even know what I'm looking for....end rant. lol

You're a guy with skills and experience. You fully deserve to be compensated not only for your work, but for your kindness.

When friends do things for me, whether it's skilled work or just a favor, I return it in kind. If I can't pay them or they won't accept payment, I offer a gift or at the least, treat them to an evening out, cook them a meal, tickets to a game, etc. This is what reasonable people do.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
I would "fix" their car, if you know what I mean.

Make it so they never ask you for anything again.

You do that anyway, whether you intend to or not.

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
I guess I am just different, my mechanic charges me $90 an hour plus I pay full list retail on the parts when I need the brakes to be fixed. And I'm happy to pay that since it would probably take me a day to figure out which parts to buy and how to do it so the new brakes work correctly.

I can't imagine asking my friends (several of which could easily do the work) for free.

Or.. You're just rich. Must be nice.

Possible Swede forum?
smirk.gif

It's not about being rich, it's about being responsible. SeaJay pays money for services to someone he feels is qualified and earns it. It's what adults, rich or poor, do.

Fool you once, shame on him. Fool you twice, shame on you.

You live and learn.

Life’s a game. Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

I made it clear years ago, I'll help YOU fix YOUR stuff and you ME fix MY stuff. I'm more than happy to work on my friends stuff but they know that they're getting dirty too and they better bring some beverages and the right parts and it's on my schedule.

Once we got that part worked out there hasn't been any issues and they're more than happy to help me with my stuff.

I was a wrench by trade; I told my friends that I'd help them paint, dig dirt, pour concrete etc, but don't ask me to open my tool box...it's a conflict of interest.

Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back