Looking at VW TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
99 Golf tdi 5sp with 186000 miles. Timing Belt and fuel filter recently changed. Is this engine any good? Have heard lots of bad stuff about certain VW engines. What can you guys tell me about this motor?

Originally Posted By: loneryder
99 Golf tdi 5sp with 186000 miles. Timing Belt and fuel filter recently changed. Is this engine any good? Have heard lots of bad stuff about certain VW engines. What can you guys tell me about this motor?

Great engine. Saw them with more then 500K.
If engine was well maintained get it.
Use ONLY 5W40 oil that meets VW 505.01 spec. (Valvoline 5W40 MST, Pentosin SUper Pento II, Motul X-Clean).

I've owned two cars with that engine, a Jetta and a Bug.

My beef is they nickel and dime you and they were in the shop a LOT. You also need to make sure you have access to someone that knows what they're doing with those engines. A timing belt change will set you back $1200 at least, and the belts still sometimes break, causing engine rebuilds.

My advise, stay away...

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I've owned two cars with that engine, a Jetta and a Bug.

My beef is they nickel and dime you and they were in the shop a LOT. You also need to make sure you have access to someone that knows what they're doing with those engines. A timing belt change will set you back $1200 at least, and the belts still sometimes break, causing engine rebuilds.

My advise, stay away...

Yes you need someone who knows what they doing, like on any Euro engine.
Had two Skoda's with 1.9TDi and 3 VW's, in most configurations (from 90hp to 130hp) and only thing that was changed was timing belt, regularly (twice EGR on one Skoda and one VW).
I am not sure what is with tdi engines in the U.S. but in Europe they have reputation to be bulletproof.

I've seen about 4-5 with 350k+ on them. Sadly the interior on MK4 dont hold up much at all.

If i'm correct that year is the ALH motor and not the pump dusse motor, much more simple motor. You need a scantool to finish up a timing belt. So someone who is a TDI mechanic should only be working on your car in general.

I have owned lots of cars. I don't comment on them usually, but I will on this thing.
We had a 2002 Jetta TDI auto purchased new. Most miserable car I have had the displeasure of owning.
Serviced at local dealer for anything but oil changes. I did all the oil changes with the proper 505.01.

Lets see in the 80,000 miles we owned it...
1 automatic transmission replacement.
1 set of injectors
2 injector wiring harnesses
4 neutral park safety switches
1 set of front wheel bearings
Carbon build up in the EGR Cooler/Intake. Which is pricey or you can clean it yourself like I did.
Various other electrical problems.

The choice is yours. By now most to that stuff has most likely been fixed so it maybe good.

It's a 17 year old car. It's GOING to nickle and dime you. It just will. Especially as a VW.

That motor is good but it's not unheard of for them to eat cam followers (lifters? followers? that part) at these miles. And the timing belt must be done with absolute precision. If VW says a bolt needs replacing--they're not kidding. This is an interference motor and if the belt breaks, it bends valves. Period. Reman heads start at like $1,500 and then you redo the timing belt job (price off the top of my head).

Glowplug harnesses are kinda hit and miss; as long as you don't mind replacing them it should not be a problem. If it is 99.5 or later (I forget if Golf did that half year thing) then the areas behind the front finder liner, next to the rockers, is a known dirt trap, and will rot the rockers starting there. The car is very good at resisting rust underneath, but not this area, due to dirt. Likewise, 99.5+, the rear axle slowly bends over time, leading to a toe-in condition which causes rapid feathering if frequent tire rotation is not done.

I forget now; at some point VW used 60k belts and then went to 90k belts--but in order to go 90k you must use all the 90k parts. It is possible to use 60k parts (and it's possible to use cheap parts that won't go the distance--see above).

Clutches and turbos do die on these. Upgraded clutches are common, and recommended, so as to allow bigger and better turbos. Injectors don't last forever either; many swap nozzles for more power. "Chipping" is common too, as more fuel really wakes up these motors.

In the USA mechanics (especially dealers) used to be clueless about these cars. Canada was better off. Usually the first advice from TDI owners to prospective buyers was to figure out who their local TDI guru's were.

On the flip side, it's a common chassis with rabid followers and decent parts support. If it's a decent car and you have a few grand set aside for repairs it can be a great ride, if you like turbodiesels. If you want something that never breaks (and is dirt cheap to repair at a mechanic if it does), then run away. Far away.

Last edited:
I love my TDIs of that era. As you see by my signature, I have one that is around 415k miles.

I'd say take the plunge if you are willing to get your own hands dirty and do some wrenching. The parts are cheap, and internet support is very strong with this generation. Practically anything that could break is documented.

DON'T get one with an auto transmission though. As previous posters have said, they don't last long. The 5-speed should reliably return 45mpg+ and work well.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
You need a scantool to finish up a timing belt. So someone who is a TDI mechanic should only be working on your car in general.

I worked at a VW dealer and we never used the VAGCOM for a TB replacement. Last time I did a TB on my parents 03, I didn't even crack cam and pump pulleys loose. Just double checked belts markings and slammed the belt on with a new water pump, idlers, and tensioner.

I have 2 TDI's - the 1999-2003 ALH's type engine is fabulous.
Pretty much everything has been mentioned already - stay away from the automatic transmission! Do the timing belt on time and expect plenty of little electrical gremlins.
I still say these are very reliable cars (the stuff that goes wrong is mostly not of the character that leaves you stranded, fun to drive and if you drive a lot, fuel economy makes it all worth it.
I use M1 TDT or Rotella T6 5W40 - it is well documented that these oils work just as well, or better at protecting the cams on these engines (especially on my 2005 BEW)compared to the overpriced factory recommended stuff.

The ALH is a good engine, it's the rest of the car around it that is junk. Run away as fast as you can and don't look back. My 2004 TDI was the biggest piece of junk.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: loneryder

Great engine. Saw them with more then 500K.
If engine was well maintained get it.
Use ONLY 5W40 oil that meets VW 505.01 spec. (Valvoline 5W40 MST, Pentosin SUper Pento II, Motul X-Clean).
The ALH does NOT need 505.01 oil. That's the BEW engine (04'+)

My sister-in-law didn't have the TDI but a normal Golf of the 2000 flavor. It burned a [censored] of oil and had 3 alternators and batteries in the 3 years she leased it.
Just personal experience.

Thanks for all the comments, good and bad. It's a car that I would tow with my motor home and use for local errands. Probably wouldn't put a lot of miles on it. I can do maintenance and simple repairs on it. I'm going to check it out at a local yocal dealer. He has a shop and about 5 cars right now. I may be able to get it for about $2700. I don't know what I could find for that $ if I was looking for reliability.

For a car of that era, I'd be looking at a Corolla or Prizm.

You'll need either good DIY skills or a relationship with a VW shop to own this car. I'd consider it as a commuter, but wouldn't be taking it on the road with me.

Well I looked at it for a long time today. Guy threw me the keys and a tag. Body is in decent shape, not obvious rocker rot. No leaks underneath. Interior is in pretty decent shape. Only real flaw was the lining on the sunroof sliding shade. All the windows and sunroof works. Started right up and no smoke but did smell. When I first started it I could hear some whistling. Took it on a good test drive. AC doesn't work. Accelerated and ran smooth but I couldn't tell if it had a turbo. Going up a hill in 4th with my foot to the floor and it lost speed. On flat ground about 68 was all it would do. Then going up a decline it slowed down. I don't think the turbo was working.
The guy runs a 3 bay auto shop and has from 5-15 cars on the lot. He has a friend who buys them wholesale for him. He doesn't know much about the car but thinks it has a new motor from a junkyard because there is a part no. painted on it like they do in junkyards. Inside the valve cover is very clean. If the egr is behind the engine under the firewall then it has been blocked off.
Timing belt was replaced with a gates belt and has a sticker on it...10k miles ago.
Could this car need "fine" tuning since the belt was changed? Any other thoughts?
He said he was going to check it out and could fix the ac.

In so many ways it could be a dud. I don't think it's worth $2,700, not unless if it's fully optioned and absolutely rust-free, not with what you describe.

IIRC MAF's can cause massive power loss. As can stuck VNT vanes. Most people point at the turbo as the culprit of all power losses; but unless if you can find a leak then a "whistle" sound when on it should mean it's making pressure. Usually when the turbo actually breaks it dumps oil into the motor and it goes into runaway; other times it turns into shrapnel and causes worse issues. This is running and moving; me thinks bad MAF, boost leak or stuck vanes. None of which is really truly bad. Alternatively, yes, valve or injection pump timing can be off, but that isn't a bad thing--I'd never trust a TDi timing belt installed by an unknown person. Perfect time to redo it.

Honestly, you'll find way more info on tdiclub.com than here--those guys live and breath TDi's. If you are serious, go over there and get the skinny.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
You need a scantool to finish up a timing belt. So someone who is a TDI mechanic should only be working on your car in general.

I worked at a VW dealer and we never used the VAGCOM for a TB replacement. Last time I did a TB on my parents 03, I didn't even crack cam and pump pulleys loose. Just double checked belts markings and slammed the belt on with a new water pump, idlers, and tensioner.

Please, not a personal slam, just a dealer slam...

See why people don't trust dealers?

RUN! Just run and run and don't look back, that car is TRASH.

15.gif
15.gif
15.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
RUN! Just run and run and don't look back, that car is TRASH.

15.gif
15.gif
15.gif

Nick, how's that Camry of yours, still puffing smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back