Did I wreck my tire (15 psi)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked my tires tonight. Back driver side was 15 PSI, all others were 32 PSI. It hasn't been more than a month or so since I last checked these, but this one could have been that low for a couple of weeks. Going to get it patched tomorrow, but do you think any damage was done? It's a newish Goodyear Assurance with plenty of tread left. I've put maybe 500-750 miles on since last checking the pressure. Thoughts?

You probably did not ruin your tire. When the tire shop patches your tire, they will remove the tire from the rim and check for damage. If there is rubber powder residue when they take off the tire from the rim, you may have then ruined the tire.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Impossible to answer without more info, pics.

+1

It's a pretty soild tire, tough to know what it has been through...

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda
Probably not. 15 psi isn't that bad.

True....lots of offroaders go to 15-18 psi routinely. Wouldn't worry.

Assuming the air loss was gradual, did you drive for extended lengths of time on the interstate with low PSI?

Who knows, maybe it had a sudden loss overnight?

Doesn't sound like it, but I would definitely have the tire pulled off the rim for patching, that way it can be inspected.

Just so everyone understands:

A tire has a certain amount of durability built in - and running it at a reduced inflation pressure uses up that durability faster than normal. Think of it as a bucket of water and instead of emptying it with a teaspoon, you use a cup.

So, Yes!, the tire was damaged - it has a reduced amount of durability. The question is: Is there enough durability left to last until the tread wears out? That's hard to answer.

First have it inspected inside. If there is a heat ring, or worse, rubber dust. you are done for. If not, keep an eye out for bulges and vibrations that develop over time. Those are signs that the tire is separating and the tire will need immediate replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back