One of the things I love about small town life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Thought maybe it was Newton but Google Earth finds Mamie Eisenhower Ave in Boone. Gotta love small town America!

GoogleEarth_Image_zps91d4ol5c.jpg

Yep, Mamie Eisenhower Ave- named after the wife of General and later, president Dwight (Ike) D. Eisenhower. Her house is next to the high school and used to be open for tours. Not sure if it still is. Even went there once on a field trip through school as a young boy.

The car looks like has it's brake lights on, somethings going on. Now why did Myrtle put her brakes on so fast the other day, question the town folk. I live in a town of 15000 but the people still drive impatiently and too fast, at times. It must be these new fangled high power cars they got now.

Grew up in town with the population around 7500. Never seen any horses there except the occasional tractor or lawn mower. Now the smaller towns surrounding never know what you'd see. Small town life just seems too slow for me now.. I like have access a multitude of stores without driving 65 miles. Not to mention actual working internet, cell phones and TV! I was bored out of my mind most of the time growing up.

Odd, never had a problem. I rode my bicycle, and later when I had my license, I "cruzed" the scene. Dating filled up time too.

The boonies isn't what it used to be. At some point I'm throwing the switch and moving from DSL to fiber. For some reason they ran fiber to my house 2 years ago, then one year ago they installed the convertor. Six months ago they had a big push to convert people over to fiber--I held out, as I didn't have issues, and I wanted to see if the price might drop.

Would be nice to have better cell coverage though. Too many of our friends (who should know better!) try to reach us on our cells, which just don't work well.

Angola, IN about 6k people. I love it here.

Even though I live across the street from a beautiful lake (I'm not rich enough yet to own a house on the lake), my property is zoned Agricultural and we have goats and rabbits. Several of my neighbors have horses. It's not uncommon to see horses strolling around the lake.

Me and my goats go for a walk every day up and down lake lanes. All the houses on the lake are $500k plus....and I'm the hillbilly with billy goats across the road from 'em.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
So flat! You don't see towns in the Northeast with long, straight, flat stretches of road like that, and look at the grid map!
Screenshot%20from%202016-05-12%2008-02-43_zpsq2yvscgm.png

The entire state looks like that. We have a road every mile in both directions. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get lost in this state. Our state very literally looks just like a piece of graph paper.

And yes...because we have a road every mile on the mile, most of them are gravel. So...we learn to drive highway speeds on gravel at an early age. It doesn't take that long to learn, but it is very hard on cars. Lots of chips and wear and rust.

I live in Boone not far from that picture long ago. I got my divorce from my first wife in that courthouse.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Grew up in town with the population around 7500. Never seen any horses there except the occasional tractor or lawn mower. Now the smaller towns surrounding never know what you'd see. Small town life just seems too slow for me now.. I like have access a multitude of stores without driving 65 miles. Not to mention actual working internet, cell phones and TV! I was bored out of my mind most of the time growing up.

I find now with online shopping, I can get everything cheaper dropped off on my porch than in a city store anyways. We've got reasonable internet now, and all I need is my employer to embrace telecommuting and I'll all set!

Rich man : Poor man

Riding horses in town.

We have horse trails in the fancy areas here. Hope Ranch and Montecito. A few mil can get you a starter house.

In the one little town of about 1000 near me, one Saturday morning there was 3 kids (10 to 14) riding horses bareback and bare foot down the main street and then gave the horses a wash in the creek that goes through town. Could've been the 1930's again...

We have horses on the streets of downtown Toronto too. Except they are rode by cops and leave poop on the streets that cars run over. It's very quaint.

Vh9fAI2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
So flat! You don't see towns in the Northeast with long, straight, flat stretches of road like that, and look at the grid map!

Besides the topography differences between the east vs. midwest, one of the reasons of the grid map look is due to how the areas were originally surveyed. The original eastern surveys were done by the Metes and Bounds system, which took into account meandering streams, ridges, etc.. Starting in Ohio, they switched to the Public Land Surveying System (rectangular system) that is developed on the N/S, E/W grid system.
PLSS_large.jpg

Small town living can be GREAT!. But, as already covered, many people prefer urban lifestyles. To each his own. Its the traffic congestion in the VERY big cities that I don't like. Otherwise, a person can choose a laid back, simple lifestyle in nearly any setting.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
We have horses on the streets of downtown Toronto too. Except they are rode by cops and leave poop on the streets that cars run over. It's very quaint.

Vh9fAI2.jpg

Horse poop is the best kind of poop there is.

That's pretty cool to be able to ride a horse in front of the court house like it's nothing.

I used to live on the outskirts of Charlotte, NC and had a neighbor who would ride their horse in that immediate area. That area was fairly densely populated with lots of subdivisions, but there were some small farms and pastures too, and plenty of room off the road to safely ride a horse. Never saw the horse on the road, always at least several feet off, so it was all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back