Why should i change the oil plug washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about the crush washers when we bought our CR-V. I pick up 10 at a time when needed at the dealer. My Buick has the rubber type washer and honestly, the washer is more than a replacement drain plug so I'll end up replacing the entire plug when the seal goes.

I've never actually replaced one of these washers in cars we've had out to 200K miles plus.
I once wanted to replace one and asked the guy behind the counter for some crush washers.
He gave me a suspicious look and said he'd never heard of such a thing.
How many people have their cars serviced at quick lubes through a long working life?
How many quick lubes have ever replaced a crush washer?
If the number exceeds zero, I'd be surprised.
Before I came here and actually learned of people changing these washers at every drain, the concept had never crossed my mind.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I've never actually replaced one of these washers in cars we've had out to 200K miles plus.
I once wanted to replace one and asked the guy behind the counter for some crush washers.
How many people have their cars serviced at quick lubes through a long working life?
Before I came here and actually learned of people changing these washers at every drain, the concept had never crossed my mind.

I don't recall ever replacing a crush washer. I don't over tighten my drain plug or have a shop change my oil. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I like Scotty Kilmer. When I lived in Houston, he was somewhat of a local legend. He is always entertaining and does give some good advice on his you tube channel. I like how it is geared toward people with little to no automotive experience. I'm sure he has helped many people over the years through you tube alone!
smile.gif

Having said that...

None of my vehicles have a removable washer of any kind. As a matter of fact, I cant remember the last vehicle I even owned that had a washer to be replaced.
confused.gif
I have seen them on after market drain plugs, especially those that are magnetic, but I haven't ever owned one personally.

As for the AutoZone endorsement, eh, why not.
21.gif
If you go back and watch his videos, he has always used duralast (autozone) products. IIRC he even has a video talking about how that is all he uses because they have a lifetime warranty. The only difference now is that he seems to be officially endorsing them, and I'm sure they are kicking him some extra coin for his endorsement. What is wrong with that? He makes some extra dough, their business grows and people continue to get some good DIY maintenance / repair videos online. Sounds like a win/win/win to me!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I don't recall ever replacing a crush washer. I don't over tighten my drain plug or have a shop change my oil. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

I would say not. I am the worlds worst about tightening my drain plugs (and oil filters for that matter) W A Y to much, and I haven't ever had an issue.
grin2.gif

I have oilfilterdrainplugcomingoffwhilegoingdowntheroaditis I suppose.
crazy.gif

All I mean is that I don't care for Auto Zone. The local one has poor service. It doesn't mean anything beyond that. My opinion is my own and I don't want to inflict it upon anyone else.

Many years ago, in my teens, i had a 1985 isuzu I mark hatchback. this was 2nd hand car, 1992-1994 had it. Doing an oil change, one day, 1994, it had a seperate washer form the oil panbolt. Well, it didnt seal up no more. Oil was leaking near bad. Put a copper washer on it, temporarily, the leak stopped, till an atuozone opened up here, and was able too get a better washer for it.
Then i completely neglected the car, and sold it too a friend for like $400, whcih he literallybeat on and drove through the woods with till it just keeled over one day.

They aren't my favorite parts house. My old local autozone was less than friendly. But to each his own I suppose!

Last edited:
I avoided the issue years ago. Every vehicle I have had this century has gotten a Fumoto drain valve in place of the drain plug. Makes oil changes so much nicer.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I never change mine and it doesn't leak a drop, i never torque it either

x2
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I always put a little RTV on the threads.

caution-youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

Okay, I'll bite, and why is it "wrong" to put a little RTV on the threads of a oil drain plug?

I reuse them unless they're cracked. I always put a little RTV on the threads. Never had a leak so far! (40 years of changing oil)

Edit: only for all metal crush washers.

RTV on threads? Now I've heard it all. I never had put anything on the threads and I never had a leak..

I never use to change them then I had one drip even after re-tightening it, so it was either dump $20 worth of oil or have it drip a little for the next several months. I let it drip and was in a bad mood for the better part of a year. Now I replace the washer for $ .25 and have never been happier.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I never use to change them then I had one drip even after re-tightening it, so it was either dump $20 worth of oil or have it drip a little for the next several months. I let it drip and was in a bad mood for the better part of a year. Now I replace the washer for $ .25 and have never been happier.

You can remove the drain plug, cover the hole with your thumb, have another person pop on a new washer and screw back in the drain plug. Maybe a few ounces lost.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I always put a little RTV on the threads.

caution-youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

Okay, I'll bite, and why is it "wrong" to put a little RTV on the threads of a oil drain plug?

Well in the case of a normal oil pan drain plug, the threads are not part of the seal, its the washer and oil pan that make the seal. Now if you were talking NPT threads, then some RTV might help.

I picked up some generic fiber toyota washers off ebay.

They feel great going in. There's a fairly large rotation arc that's still about the correct torque. I feel like I can do no wrong, and that I'm not stressing the threads at all.

And that satisfaction from a job over-well done is why we change our oil anyway.

Copper/ aluminum washers aren't as satisfying but I think it's cool when I get new ones with filters (eg for my mercedes diesel.)

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I picked up some generic fiber toyota washers off ebay.

They feel great going in. There's a fairly large rotation arc that's still about the correct torque. I feel like I can do no wrong, and that I'm not stressing the threads at all.

And that satisfaction from a job over-well done is why we change our oil anyway.

Copper/ aluminum washers aren't as satisfying but I think it's cool when I get new ones with filters (eg for my mercedes diesel.)

You've convinced me. Sounds amazing!

depends some actually crush.. and are 1 use only (subaru)
ximm

while I've replaced the hyundai "crush washer" once in 5yr.

S-9956W-33-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back