Sealer in engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering the side effect of sealer in engine oil, comparing petroleum distillate based vs glycol esther based?

Anyone with chemistry knowledge that can explain the pro and cons of both types?

You have just asked a tough question..I have no clue....given the educational level of the average American, whatever average is, most have never taken chemistry and usually run from any science course..Me, took basic chemistry in college once and that was enough because you had to use your brain, do math, do experiments on those lab tables and get dirty, lol....best part, I did finally learn how to balance those chemical equations, but it took 2 tutors about 2 weeks for me to get the basics down, but it was way to much effort....I was younger once..

To answer your question on engine oil sealer,,,right- wish I could, but I have no credentials in that area.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Are you talking about gasket/seal swellers like you find in HM PCMO? Or something else?

I refer to something like ATP AT-205 or the LM MOS

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
HAHAHA.. yes it is glycol ethers compared to petroleum distillate.

Well if you are using engine oil now and the seals are leaking, petroleum distillates are unlikely to do too much. If you are using a full synthetic and the seals are leaking, you could try running conventional instead and save money on oil and additives.

Glycol ether would probably help swell the seals, but you'd likely have to always add it to keep up the swelling since the seals would probably revert over time and glycol ether is extremely volatile.

Interesting..recently i tried atp at205 on engine, somehow the unexpexted result is the noise reduction of the engine. It seems it does a bit of cleaning as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back