10,000 mile oil changes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
10K OCI's work for some people, they won't work for me. Not when it takes an hour or more to cover 20 miles during the average daily drive for my wife and myself here. If you do simple math the engine would be running almost 3 +/- times longer than someone commuting the same 20 miles with no traffic. It can be hard for some people who never lived in the NY metro area to comprehend what traffic and daily commutes can be like. It's tough for us to comprehend covering 50 miles in an hour. lol We're going into beach season which can add another 10-20 minutes to our commute.

The best advise is to just follow the IOLM as it takes into account the above scenarios plus countless others.

Yes if your vehicle is equipped with one. My point is blanket statements like dino oil can handle x miles, and synthetic oil can handle y might not apply to all cases.

+1

Personally, I'm not necessarily going to run a 10K mile OCI just because the oil will "do it".

I'm glad you agree! In my case it would be the oil "might do it." Risk vs. reward for me is not worth it. Maybe when we move out of the NY metro area things will be different and I'll re-think it.

10K OCI's work for some people, they won't work for me. Not when it takes an hour or more to cover 20 miles during the average daily drive for my wife and myself here. If you do simple math the engine would be running almost 3 +/- times longer than someone commuting the same 20 miles with no traffic. It can be hard for some people who never lived in the NY metro area to comprehend what traffic and daily commutes can be like. It's tough for us to comprehend covering 50 miles in an hour. lol We're going into beach season which can add another 10-20 minutes to our commute.

This case shows how elapsed run time would be a better way to set the OCI.
Too bad cars don't come with hour meters.
A 100 hour OCI would cover a wide range of usage patterns.
That would be 3000 miles for this NY driving, 6000 miles for someone mostly highway, 8000 miles for driving across the plains.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: circuitsmith

That would be 3000 miles for this NY driving, 6000 miles for someone mostly highway, 8000 miles for driving across the plains.

Exactly. I use an hour meter to service my power washer, and have done so for over 20 years now. The hour meter is a very useful tool in determining an OCI. My two Jeeps have hour meters. My Rubicon currently has about 72 hours on it and was driven about 2,650 miles in total. So far it has not been driven during rush hour. Even so average speed is still under 40 mph.

When I bought my 2016 Rubicon I started logging the hours on both my Jeeps. My plan is to see engine on time during the OCI, average speed driven, etc. All useful information.

I'd love to compare engine on time vs. miles driven with someone living in Utah, Wyoming, the Dakotas, or some of the other less populated areas of the US. It would be a real eye opener!

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith

OLM in my car is based on the total amount of fuel burned, which kind of takes your above scenario into account. If you're sitting in stop-and-go traffic, you are burning through fuel, even though you are not moving much, so the OLM keeps counting down.

I had a 2013 V6. Sadly, she was totaled out Jan 3 of this year. IOLM had me sweating, I was in the 5-6 K mile OCI camp till I bought that car. I changed early @ about 30% on the IOLM (about 7500) , but I pushed the next one down to single digits and it was sitting on about 9K when I changed it. 10K is reasonable. The new Fusion which has the same tech (IOLM) has 3K and is still in the 70% range.

Off topic - those cars are built right. Mine rolled approximately times and 4 teens walked away.

I own a 2014 Mustang GT with the 5.0 and I use the OLM for oil changes. I run Motorcraft 5W-20 blend and a Motorcraft filter and my last oil change had 7,200 miles on it at about the year mark.

With the larger oil sumps and the quality of oil these days, I don't have a problem going the longer OCI's.

Wayne

I put PP on my Lexus and it has a 6Q sump and I run it for 10K.

I have been running 10K since it had 10K on its odometer but up-to 10K I must have done 2/3 oil changes. It has 50K on the odometer.

I think there was a TSB that Toyotas on some models can run 10K.

With current oils and current engine management systems 10K OCIs are probably as conservative as were the 5K drains Ford used to recommend even for engines using pretty sophisticated engine control systems like our old '97 Aerostar or the '94 E350 we currently have.
You use your car pretty gently in a very moderate climate, so 10K drains seem pretty reasonable.
I'd doubt that Ford is compromising their reputation by recommending OCIs that would adversely affect engine life.
I can run 10K drains on our newer Accord if I run it to 0% MM.
That I don't do this is more a matter of convenience than concern. I start planning a change at 15% MM and then do the change when convenient. This car has been run as long as 9.3K and 10% MM using the recommended 0W-20 API spec motor oil, which happened to be synthetic, although there are also blend 0W-20s, one of which is branded as Honda Genuine.
Many makers now recommend drain intervals that would once have been considered poor practice and none of them are trying to shorten the operating lives of their engines.
Why change perfectly serviceable oil?

The old adage of oil's cheap and engines aren't still applies, but oil changes can be run out within owners manual specs. The manufacturers have plenty of a safety margin built in to the IOLM's/owners manual.

If anyone is concerned with the interval recommended either with an IOLM/owners manual simply start an oil analysis program to evaluate your own schedule. Once you're comfortable with where the analysis comes back then set your schedule accordingly. The guessing with, I'd never let a turbocharged engine go x number of miles is 20th century as I don't think anyone sells one that isn't liquid cooled currently.

I have been running the same liquid cooled turbo since 1992 in a marine diesel, I know its not the same as a gas powered car/truck, but the liquid cooling eliminates most of the turbocharger issues. I haven't read anywhere where Ford, for example, has seen a rash of turbo replacements. These engines have been out for several years and there has to be many with over 200,000 mi.+.

I have a 2007 chevy classic w/t 4.3 V6. If I go by the oil monitor it will go off at 11,000 miles.
I just do 10,000 miles oil changes. I take this monitor was setup to run on conventional oil. I always used a synthetic oil and a delco 52 filter. My first choice of oil is M1 HM 10/30 and if not on sale/rebate I use any syn oil on sale. I just changed my oil at 170,000 miles. I would have no problem using a semi and 10k mile changes. In fact I am thinking of switching to 10/30 delo semi for every thing I own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back