Ford 4.0L & Dodge 4.7L ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
vehicles with blown 4.7's litter craigslist like forgotton cobalts and trashed sunfires. almost everytime i go to home depot i see an unfortunate guy pulling out blasting blue smoke or knocking (no hemi badge on the side). I personally owned two 4.7's and loved them while I had them, but I'll be a hog's tick if they are reliable.

Maybe, but I'd bet you a steak that if you're seeing a Ram without a Hemi badge knocking and spitting blue smoke then its probably a 5.9 with the lower intake plenum gasket leaking (known issue that causes both the knocking and the blue smoke).

And since many like me completely debadge our trucks when new you're just never going to be sure!

We have a 2008 Jeep Commander that we picked up a year ago with the 2nd Gen 4.7 (16 spark plugs instead of 8; rated at 305 horsepower in this application vs. 235 for the '07 and down 1st Gen 4.7.) It has the 545RFE transmission which has a very good reputation as mentioned previously. It moves this heavy box (5,000 lbs.) very well although I would have preferred the Hemi as they are a simpler design, they don't do any worse on gas and have about 40 more horsepower. I settled for the 4.7 because it was a clean one owner truck and the price was great. Hopefully the PP 5W20 will keep that long timing chain setup happy. So far it runs like a train and has been trouble free.

Andrew S.

The timing chain on OHC V-6 and V-8 engines always worried me. I prefer a belt setup on a V-6 and a pushrod like the 5.7 or GM LS engines. Wife's 2003 Durango 4.7 never had any issues, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back