How do you cut open a filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to cut open my oil filter that I just changed...but how am I suppost to do it? I was thinking of using my dremel tool, but that's going to add all kinds of crap to the filter that didn't come from my truck.
smile.gif

Maybe not the best way but better than a Dremel or a hacksaw is to use a SHARP chisel tapping it with a hammer about 1" below the crimp. I have cut open many this way and had no problems introducing cuttings to the "sample". There is a filter cutter available but the last time I checked on one it was around $70. Hammer & chisel were free. Time to cut one open about 2 minutes.

A cheap air hammer and a muffler cutter chisel to fit it work great. Harbor freight has them both for less than $15.00. It will open one up like a sardine can!

quote:

Originally posted by ralan:
A cheap air hammer and a muffler cutter chisel to fit it work great. Harbor freight has them both for less than $15.00. It will open one up like a sardine can!

A ha! Got an air hammer for xmas a few years ago...finally found a use for it!
grin.gif

Others have recommended tail pipe cutters. You can "rent" one for free at Autozone. I bought one at Advanced Auto for $20 and they work very well. Now that I have it, I perform an autopsy on every filter I take off.

[ December 07, 2003, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Grease is the word ]

quote:

Originally posted by Grease is the word:
Others have recommended tail pipe cutters. You can "rent" one for free at Autozone. I bought one at Advanced Auto for $20 and they work very well. Now that I have it, I perform an autopsy on every filter I take off.

hmmm... I think I know what my next tool purchase may be.
wink.gif

I have been using a large can opener. It takes longer but they only cost a few bucks at walmart.

Dan

*Note to self: buy oil filter cutter. There are more cuts on my hands than on the filter after attacking it with my air hammer.
rolleyes.gif
pat.gif

I just used a regular manual can-opener that i use to open tuna fish cans with to open an older toyota/denso oem filter. i removed the gaskets, then went around a few times with light to medium pressure, and it opened perfectly on the about the 4th or 5th time around.
I also saw someone here put together a home-made filter opener with a board and 3 titanium screws... that looked really cool also.
you don't need a lot, if you're thinking outside the box and being inventive, just be careful with your fingers. some people on bitog have really hurt themselves trying to open filters (and if you do hurt yourself trying to open an oil filter, no pics of the damage please).

the white can opener you see in this pic, is what cut open that toyota filter so perfectly. I was surprised it worked so well. I actually started out with a metal saw i had, but i wasn't making much progress, when i started to thing about alternatives.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9592432@N02/26038284894/in/album-72157667010602300/

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
💀. Zombie thread.

True that! Complete with Anonymous from Dec 2003. Was able to get one of the links to work, aircraftspruce. As for answer, my made in Taiwan HF exhaust cutoff tool for $15.00 complete with it's own case still working great. The ones that came later made in China, not as good. Now discontinued.......What's &#128128 mean?
anonymous-150x150.jpg

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
💀. Zombie thread.

True that! Complete with Anonymous from Dec 2003.

Back when trolls had a free ticket to be trolls.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
....What's &#128128 mean?
anonymous-150x150.jpg

My iPad has smilies but apparently they don't work on this website so it just show up as numbers. I never tried them before. 😀

Last edited:
I was able to do it pretty easily by cutting off the actual crimp with a pair of aviation snips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back