Running car without oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Jeep has been sitting for about 10 days now with no oil pan. Little worried that the oil pump and drained out completely out of the pickup.

Once I get the thing back together I am going to pull the plugs and just spin it over with the starter for a minute or two - that shouldn't cause any damage to the starter since there's no compression. They only overheat if they are spinning the engine over and there is compression.

On a side note, how does one forget to put oil back in and get that far? Wouldn't there be an oil pressure light?

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued
OP, this situation reminds me of this guy: https://youtu.be/-UCxmJiRpjs?t=11m2s but your neighbor did it on accident while this guy knew exactly what he was doing. Excessive wear probably occurred but unless he does a tear down he will probably never know if there was any damage.

I was thinking of the same video!

I was leaving work once with a co-worker with me in my 98 ranger 4x4 truck, which I had taken excellent care of. We made it just over one mile when a dash light came on and I immediately pulled off & shut it off. Sheared the oil pump drive shaft. Once that was repaired it had a pretty noticeable knock, that we never could correctly diagnose. Less than one mile. I couldn't do as suggested, so I took it to a dealer I know well and explained the damage, and bit the bullet and traded it. It just doesn't take much time at all. Gives new meaning to the phrase, "oil is the life blood of your engine".

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Without oil in the engine, did he NOT have any dashlights on? You know, like the OIL idiot light? I always start my engine after an oil change and kind of stare anxiously at the dash till I know everything is OK and sounds good.

I'm sure the fellow didn't do it on purpose, I just can't imagine no dash lights on and no oil for 4 blocks, unless he was draining 90W gear oil and only idled...

I would also logically imagine (from being a former idiot teenager) that the first sign of anything wrong will be a lifter starting to tick...and never stopping.

Since he has nothing to lose, I'd suggest trying this: http://www.amazon.com/MotorSilk%C2%AE-Engine-Oil-Treatment/dp/B007HRI81M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1461147647&sr=1-1&keywords=motor+silk

Isnt it weird we seem to have a loud annoying seatbelt audible warning. . And just a dim red light hidden behind a photograph to illustrate the engine dying?

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
Without oil in the engine, did he NOT have any dashlights on? You know, like the OIL idiot light? I always start my engine after an oil change and kind of stare anxiously at the dash till I know everything is OK and sounds good.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any cars out there that have a "Check idiot" light. If he wasn't paying attention, then this sort of thing will happen.

100% some damage occurred the question is how much, without tearing it down there is no way to even throw a good guess out there.
I see three possibilities. The engine keeps going as long as he needs it to, that IMO is probably about a 50/50 chance providing it isn't already making a racket or smoking.
The engine fails in a short time costing $$ or he trades it in now and gets out of it.

If he is prepared to replace or rebuild the engine at some point then its all good, run it till it fails, if not dump it now.

Sounds like he got distracted and forgot to fill it. He's a fairly forgetful person. Leaves garage door open when driving away, leaves sprinklers on for days at a time, etc. etc. etc. The car only has 8K miles on it. It's a 2015...

One time a few years ago he started grilling, I was outside, saw him put burgers on, and 30 minutes later knocked on his door and asked how his burgers were doing. Let's just say he made new burgers.

Sure you should help this neighbor. Sounds like time gets away from him.

Instead of staying under the car and while waiting for the oil to finish draining, he decides to use the time to perform another task and then forgets.

A pen and pad may help this man!

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
crank bearing are surprisingly very weak without oil ,he likely will need to replace crank bearing soon.but then it is made in this fashion so you dont need to change the whole engine .it depend how hard he drove if its just around the block? just replace the oil and filter right now

and the oil pressure switch/light.... he should've noticed before he was off the driveway

I know the bearings get wiped pretty quickly; what about cylinder bores? How long do they have? I'm guessing not much, but wonder if they tend to manage.

Back in the 80s when I worked at CARQUEST a lady called and asked if I had drain plug for a Fiat?
I told her it wasn't listed but bring the old one and I am sure I will find something.
Twenty minutes later this refugee from the 60s dragged in and told me her car is outside.
I looked and there was no plug. I found one that fit, she bought 4 quarts of the cheapest ND oil, poured it in, started it up. And you know, it sounded like a sewing machine.
She told me it was only a 4 mile drive from her house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back