What to teach someone about cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: Olas
Teach her how to pay attention to the car and be aware of changing noises or sensations, rather than relying in idiot lights.

Also +1 on oil level at fuel fills, tyre condition, changing bulbs, and the importance of keeping jump leads, spare bulbs, a fuel can, fire extinguisher and NOT using a phone while driving.

A fuel can is pretty much no longer a good idea.
All the fuel cans that you can buy now are CARB compliant now which means that they are plastic and fuel permeate through it; which means you shouldn't be storing it long term in a vehicle. They will also degrade and split on you over time.

I would say she needs to read the owner's manual. and you should be able to quiz her on the manual and she should know the answer or be able to find it for you (open book).

So use an old metal jerry can, or order a new metal can off the Internet. Simple.

+1 o the owners manual, except where it conflicts with our knowing better. Eg. It might say to check the oil once a month, but we lie it more regular than that. And other examples of our OCD anal maintenance tendencies
wink.gif

I still think this is complete nonsense, especially in the USA where fuel is cheap and readily available. She's not going offroading or over an 1000mile unmarked alaskan tundra in a snowmobile.

I think this says more about you and YOUR car operating habits if you are running out of fuel frequently enough that you believe buying a fuel canister is a smart purchase that would eventually "pay for itself", as getting Fuel is something within your control (unlike a breakdown).

Only a small minority of folks for various reasons, either financial or mental; buy gas 1 or 2 gallons at a time and typically ride on fumes hoping to get to the next gas station.

It'd make more sense from a lesson perspective to use that money for the AAA membership, then carry around gallons of flammable petroleum product in the vehicle cabin in a basically minimally protected and minimally secured canister. If she runs out of fuel and gets stuck once, she will call for AAA, or if local walk a few blocks to a gas station, then she'd never let it happen again.

Last edited:
I haven't run out of fuel in my car for more years than I can remember, and I try and keep the tank above half full to cut down on condensation inside it.

My reasoning was that college kids are broke, and for the sort of person were discussing here who knows nothing about cars, maybe keeping an eye on the fuel level needle would be too difficult.

Heck, let's not teach the poor girl anything except "if your car breaks then phone your dad and he'll fix it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back