2010 Acura, compressor went out

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, got a 2010 acura rdx, compressor went out and wife carried it to local mechanic, guy goes on to tell her when the compressor went out it could have messed other things up, he said they wouldn't know till the got in and had a look, what exactly is he talking about as in messing other things up with the compressor going out ?

I can't think of anything else it would mess up. You'd want to replace the drier and flush the system because there is a good chance it sent metal debris through the system when it failed - depending on how it failed. Did it lock up?

He's probably referring to metal debris in the system.

If the compressor grenaded you'll need a new expansion valve, drier, and condenser if it's a parallel flow model. Plus a flush.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
He's probably referring to metal debris in the system.

If the compressor grenaded you'll need a new expansion valve, drier, and condenser if it's a parallel flow model. Plus a flush.
yes if it contaminated the system it will need a flush,valve,condenser etc.1 Spec of metal will get pumped around and it will blow up again

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
honda is on a roll with their extremely reliable ac compressors.
they don't use pistons. They use a scroll. 1 spec of contaminate gets stuck in the scroll and bang!

I'd call the dealer, with your VIN before you go replacing it. Depending on the mileage and year, there was a warranty extension on the ac compressor clutch and coils. That is the usual failure mode anyway, a locked up compressor that has actually dumped it's guts into the system is rare in my area. Anything is possible, but I would make sure that the mechanic isn't shotgunning a compressor where the failure is an electrical fault with the magnetic coil or relay.
Hope that helps, those are expensive compressors...

Mom's 1985 Maxima had a compressor fail in such an epic fashion that a chunk of the old compressor tore a hole through the condenser. I wonder if this is the kind of situation you are in.

Her 1999 CRV needed compressor replacement under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back