How's my ENGINE DATA look? OBD2 **pics!!**

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 sets of data below... First at highway speed, Second at warm idle after highway run.

Subject: '08 Scion xB 2.4L 2AZ-FE, Auto 4 speed, 132k miles, no mods - bone stock everything, known oil burner
Specs: 91 octane premium no ethanol, Castrol GTX high mileage semi-synthetic 5W-20, Fram TG oil filter, new air filter, spark plugs about 20k on them
Conditions:Dry 45F and 55% humidity, flat interstate (first data set)- 65 mph, motor at full temp, data taken at 20 minutes into highway continuous run. second data set taken after full temp highway run and idle in Park 0mph for 5 minutes

Have a look at any and everything.... No partucular concerns or driveability issues, just wanted a data health checkup before a 400mile trip

ANYTHING look odd? In no order of importance or comprehensiveness ...Spark advance, CatConverter temps, MAF, voltage , O2Sensor data..etc..etc...?

Highway Data below

Data at hot idle after highway run..

First of all, what cool device is this?

Second, I didn't see anything weird. Fuel trims, at least the snapshots looked OK.

However, instantaneous values usually dont mean much unless something is obviously wrong. If you can track trends over time then that is a better measure. If you get the Torque app for Android and pair it with a Bluetooth OBD reader then you can log data for entire trip to see how each point trends.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
First of all, what cool device is this?

Second, I didn't see anything weird. Fuel trims, at least the snapshots looked OK.

However, instantaneous values usually dont mean much unless something is obviously wrong. If you can track trends over time then that is a better measure. If you get the Torque app for Android and pair it with a Bluetooth OBD reader then you can log data for entire trip to see how each point trends.

This is the Actron "AutoScanner" palm sized
Corded scanner my wife got my back in oh perhaps 2010.

Just wanted to see if any experts here spitted a problem being "compensated for" by the computer such as an spark advance or something showing that the computer is "doing all it can" to cover a mechanical variance. Also to peek at catalytic converter temp (not that I know a good temp value from a bad one) to see if anybody spots it "clogging" from the years of oil burning.

Indeed wondering if there is a bluetooth that will show stuff well with a Toyota... Especially trans temp for when I do dipstickless drain and fills on the stupid U760E in my '13 Camry SE.

Looks like a actron scanner. We're you off the throttle? Looks like a lot of timing unless decelerating. Tps says 23 I'm assuming your dbw?

Originally Posted By: 97hb
Looks like a actron scanner. We're you off the throttle? Looks like a lot of timing unless decelerating. Tps says 23 I'm assuming your dbw?

Not sure about the "dbw" acronym meaning.

It was on cruise control on an almost... almost... Flat surface at the time. Perhaps a bit of a grade but very slight. Or could the moderate oil eating be requiring some undesireable timing value at highway speed?

I see your second post says it all looks ok?

The problem with generic OBDII info is the "spark advance" given isn't directly compared with all the timing you could have. In other words the "timing retard from optimal" is an encrypted data point you need a better scanner for.

And even then you'd want to compare timing retard to another car just like yours operated at similar temps and fuel.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The problem with generic OBDII info is the "spark advance" given isn't directly compared with all the timing you could have. In other words the "timing retard from optimal" is an encrypted data point you need a better scanner for.

And even then you'd want to compare timing retard to another car just like yours operated at similar temps and fuel.

Ah, so as far as timing goes. A. It looks like a normal engine functioning "ok". B. If one desires more knowledge they need a comparable or factory data parameter comparables.

Ok, so no "concerns" showing in the data overall it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back