May have waited a tad too long to do brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look fine to me, I would have run longer. My rotors usually look worse but have more pad material left.

If those two pads are from the same wheel, I would think about busting loose the pads once/year (if not twice) and freeing up pads so that they slide better. I have to do that twice/year or stuff freezes up.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Thats nothing, this is waiting too long!

rotor.jpg

People will come in with those and complain that we can't do a pad slap.
How often do you see that? Here is a friend of mine. "My wife was driving and the brakes just went out. Can you help us out?"
1008111208_zpscb8128c1.jpg

Originally Posted By: hatt

rotor.jpg

How often do you see that? Here is a friend of mine. "My wife was driving and the brakes just went out. Can you help us out?"

They don't hear or feel something is radically wrong with their brakes? Or do they just ignore it and motor on?

Originally Posted By: hatt

rotor.jpg

I realize that these cases are by far in the minority--but it's kinda hard to argue against vehicle safety inspections whenever I see a picture like this.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
Educate me here. For those who say it was too long, what tips you off? Looks to me there's still maybe 2-3mm left on the pads? Few grooves in the rotor, but what's the thickness? I'd say it was a fine time to change.

I certainly don't think it was "too long." No metal-to-metal contact, no de-bonding of the pad material, and the rotor looks great with no grooves or gouges. If it had been mine, I'd have hand-rubbed the rotor with a scotch-brite or very fine sandpaper and Brakleen to remove all the pad residue, rinsed with another blast of brakleen, put on new pads, and followed the burnish-in procedure.

I don't think it was too long, I think it was actually perfect timing. It looked like you had about 3/32 left, which is when I like to change them. The rotors looked trashed from NE winters.

The rotors probably could of been reused, but replacing them was doing the job right.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
They don't hear or feel something is radically wrong with their brakes? Or do they just ignore it and motor on?

Turn the radio up and ignore it. Then when they come into a shop and the shop quotes pads, rotors, and calipers they go on Yelp and say how much of a ripoff the shop is and how the shop was screwing them over.

Originally Posted By: supton
I realize that these cases are by far in the minority--but it's kinda hard to argue against vehicle safety inspections whenever I see a picture like this.

I agree. As much as I loathe the thought of more government intrusion, a properly run safety inspection system would be ideal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton

Sorry but you can't fix stupid. I don't like paying taxes and fees because we need to dumb down the world to idiot level.

the disc looks like the pads were stuck. are the slider pinsok, and did the pads come out easy?

Might just be a lighting issue, but the disc looks blue to me.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
Educate me here. For those who say it was too long, what tips you off? Looks to me there's still maybe 2-3mm left on the pads? Few grooves in the rotor, but what's the thickness? I'd say it was a fine time to change.
Toyota shop manual for my vehicle says 1mm pad thickness for replacement.

[/quote]

People will come in with those and complain that we can't do a pad slap. [/quote]How often do you see that? Here is a friend of mine. "My wife was driving and the brakes just went out. Can you help us out?"

[/quote]

Can somebody tell me what I'm looking at?

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017

Can somebody tell me what I'm looking at?

Shattered brake rotors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back