Recording OTA TV using Media Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have Windows media center on my laptop, and I was thinking about getting a TV tuner to record over the air channels. TV tuner being a WinTV 995Q.

My question is, to record future TV shows using the media center guide, does the computer need to be connected to the internet at time of show? My laptop isn't always connected to the internet.

Thanks

been a while since i had mine set up, but i think it does..
but i could be wrong. been over 2 years since i had that PC actually running...

oh, and make sure you have PLENTY of HD space available. back when i had mine set up, if i recall correctly, it used around 2 gigs an hour for an sd broadcast, 4 for HD. this was using windows 7 media center.

No, it does not need to be connected to the internet at the time of recording if the program guide is current.
If it is a recurring recording, just make sure you connect every 2 weeks or so. The program guide is downloaded at least 2 weeks in advance.

The computer does not need to be connected to the internet, but the TV tuner needs to be connected to the source of the TV signal when recording. I have a designated HTPC that's always on and always connected to the TV and the line coming from the antenna on the roof.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
No, it does not need to be connected to the internet at the time of recording if the program guide is current.

Sometimes programs start later than what was originally noted in the TV guide. Is there a stamp/program ID that gets sent along with the TV signal OTA so that media center knows exactly when to begin recording?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: blupupher

Sometimes programs start later than what was originally noted in the TV guide. Is there a stamp/program ID that gets sent along with the TV signal OTA so that media center knows exactly when to begin recording?

No, it does not update for things like that.
If the guide says it starts at 7 and ends at 8 on channel x, it starts and stops recording at that time and channel (actually will default to start recording 3 minutes before and 2 minutes after the times). If the program starts late, it does not know that and will not record the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back