Lack of Star Tron posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a search for Star Tron, Startron or Star Brite, Starbrite on this thread returns 0 results. Is this not considered a good cleaning additive here or am I looking in the wrong place? I'm not using it for its storage properties I use red Sta-bil for that.

A couple years ago my snow blower starting hunting or missing every few seconds, When I mentioned this to the counter guy where I buy my small engine tune up parts he handed me a little bottle of Star Tron and told me to add a couple cap fulls and then fill the tank. I couldn't believe it but about half way thru the next use it starting missing less and by the second use it was running way better. Since then I always put a cap full in and it runs noticeably better.

My first encounter with BITOG was searching for fuel additives a couple years ago, I decided to put a bottle of Redline in my car since it appeared to have the most PEA in it at the time. I was disappointed I couldn't tell the difference but figured maybe my car just didn't need it.

Lately my car seems to be starting hard but only after it sits for awhile. Starting up in the morning it always fires right up, in fact sometimes I feel I can't let go of the key fast enough. The problem is when I leave to go to lunch 4 hours later it doesn't pop right off it takes a few seconds of turning over to start, no big deal I guess but I thought why not try the Star Tron since it worked on the blower. So I did, double dossed it like the bottle says and filled up. Half a tank later its not starting any better after sitting but I do notice it runs better. Best way I can describe it is it seems to take less throttle to achieve the same results as before and acceleration is better/smoother. I haven't been using a TT station because I didn't know until today that the Cenex we have was TT (thanks Xrs2zz for posting that tidbit), them and Casey's are the only places in town that sell non alcohol which I prefer to use.

After some searching on other forums it sounds like my starting issues may be a dirty throttle body, IAC or TPS or a bit of all three.

MSDS, shows 95% naphtha. Sounds like seafoam

Also after sitting for a few hours try turning the key to on for a few seconds before starting, see if it helps

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Also after sitting for a few hours try turning the key to on for a few seconds before starting, see if it helps

I did try that with no luck, someone on another forum was suggesting that to someone else. What does seem to help is slightly depressing the accelerator while turning the key, it doesn't pop right off like in the morning but starts it faster.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Doing a search for Star Tron, Startron or Star Brite, Starbrite on this thread returns 0 results. Is this not considered a good cleaning additive here or am I looking in the wrong place? I'm not using it for its storage properties I use red Sta-bil for that.

Quite a few threads on startron in the archives. Not sure why you are not finding them. Here is one:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nd?#Post2742259

Originally Posted By: JC1
Looks like 5 hour energy for the Gas Tank! lol

Yes, I think that's been mentioned before. It's not something to stock on the front counter at the convenience store.
wink.gif

I did try that with no luck, someone on another forum was suggesting that to someone else. What does seem to help is slightly depressing the accelerator while turning the key, it doesn't pop right off like in the morning but starts it faster.
I have used it. It goes in the motorcycles along with a full tank of fuel when they get stored. BTW your issue just off hand sounds like dirty throttle body and/or idle air control valve if you have one.

Originally Posted By: Superflop

I have used it. It goes in the motorcycles along with a full tank of fuel when they get stored. BTW your issue just off hand sounds like dirty throttle body and/or idle air control valve if you have one.

Leaning towards the dirty throttle body since depressing the accelerator a tad helps. I believe I just had the IAC replaced or he may of just cleaned it a few months back. Looking at some videos online I will try cleaning the IAC but the throttle body looks a bit tougher. I clean my MAF sensor a couple times a year when I feel a slight hesitation when taking off from a dead stop.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Just get a gallon of Coleman white gas for $12 its 100% naphtha.
Star Tron is just high priced little bottles of camp fuel.

Not true. Startron is enzyme based technology. The naptha is just the carrier.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Either way it doesn't seem to work very well according to the marina's i service injectors for.

Works wonders on the small engines I help maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back