Ford - warranty when doing own services

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a new '16 Fiesta ST. At the time of purchase I declined the extended maintenance plan because I work at a Toyota dealer where I have access to a lift and tools, and can perform my own services on my vehicle. My question is what do I need to do to make sure I meet warranty standards if I ever have to use it while performing my own services? Is it possible? Any suggestions or tips would be helpful.

My main question, are receipts and logs of maintenances done at non-Ford dealers enough to still meet warranty standards if it ever needs to be utilized?

-Matt

When i bought my malibu new they gave me 4 free oil changes and tire rotation i declined them. I just keep the receipt for my oil changes in the glove box just in case.

I would say same as any manufacturer - receipts for oil/filters and any other maintenance. Preferably write the mileage on it, if for nothing other than your information.

yes keep all receipts and use the correct oil type and weight they can not deny your warranty unless they offer free service. They cant deny a warranty unless something was done wrong.. MM is on your side and Lemon Law is free they wont stand a chance. Fact!

You can also sign up on the website from Ford to keep track of all your maintenance done. Any work done at a Ford dealership will also be added to your records on line. Keeping track on line AND keeping all your receipts of oil and filter purchases should cover you for any warranty issues.

My daughter's dance instructor drives a Chevy and her husband is a mechanic at a nearby Volvo dealership and has access to tools like you do. Of course, he does the maintenance on his wife's vehicle. The dealer does not care if the mechanics are in their service bays after hours, as long as the sales dept. has people there, which is up till 9 pm.

Anyhow, he keeps an inexpensive digital camera with a date/time stamp on it in his tool box, and he takes pictures of the odometer, car on lift, and anything he services on his wife's car, together with receipts of parts purchased.

My main question, are receipts and logs of maintenances done at non-Ford dealers enough to still meet warranty standards if it ever needs to be utilized?

-Matt [/quote]

Yes. Be sure to use fluids that meet the proper specifications. If you do that and keep your receipts that's all the proof you need.

Over ten years at a Ford dealership I only saw one warranty voided. I think it's something many people are overly paranoid about and some dealerships use as a tool to make customers feel like they are required to get service work done there.

Last edited:
I dont have an answer for the question at hand, but I do have this question.

You work at a Toyota dealer and bought a competing car from a different dealer. Isn't that frowned upon? Wouldn't the sales folks at your dealership have offered you an employee discount on a Toyota? I can just imagine a manager being miffed seeing you come to work in a brand new competing brand car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back