5w-20 oil recomended by factory in a 435hp car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What most miss is the electronic timing will change the timing for each cylinder removing the pounding that happens when a cyl or two or three runs hotter for what ever reason and needs less timing to reduce pinging etc..

Originally Posted By: wtd
Originally Posted By: SR5
I may have missed it, but what is the sump capacity and oil change interval Ford use on the mustang?

Sump capacity is 8 quarts and the oil change interval is don't exceed one year or 10,000 miles or use the OLM.

Thanks mate, that's a decent sump capacity.

I had a 1990 Ford Tempo for several years and used M1 10-30. I did one change to M1 15-50 a few months before selling the car. With the 15-50 there was a noticeable difference in engine response, so I changed back to the 10-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Garak
Part of the matter also involves what oils are going to be readily available in a market. We already know that Australia prohibits the import and manufacture of 20 grades, so that has to be taken into account.

I just looked at the 2016 Mustang owner's manual (PDF on-line) for the Australia export. It specifies that the 5.0L Coyote exported to Australia to use 5W-30 (Ford spec WSS-M2C913-D). The Coyote engines in the exported models is really no different that the US models. The US model owner's manual specifies to use 5W-20 in the 2015+ Coyote.

That's good to know, I haven't checked Ford Australia recently.

Of course Garak (and myself) were joking about 5W-20 oils in Australia. They are here (and 0W-20) I saw lots of 5W-20 on the shelf just a few days ago. They were dusty though, because here most people tend to buy 5W-30 synthetic or 10W-30 / 10W-40 semi-synthetic or 15W-40 mineral.

That Ford oil spec is a good spec. I think it's close to a Euro A5/B5 and may even be a little better than a dexos 5W-30 (just my opinion here).

Again I was at the local auto store just a few days ago and I saw Valvoline SynPower FE 5w-30, it's rated Ford WSS-M2C-913-D, C, B and A., ACEA A5/B5, API SL/CF.

That's what I would use for day to day driving in Australia (updating my previous pick of 5W-40 synthetic earlier in this thread).

Out of interest Valvoline also make a SynPower DX1 5W-30, it's rated API SN/CF, ILSAC GF-5, GF-4, dexos1, GM4718M, GM6094M, GM-LL-A-025, Ford M2C-929-A, Ford M2C-946-A.

They are both on the shelfs at the same price in my local auto store.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
You think that horsepower is only applied at Max speed? Many drivers demand full power several times in a single trip, in various gears.

For literally seconds at a time.

Seconds add up.

Part of the matter also involves what oils are going to be readily available in a market. We already know that Australia prohibits the import and manufacture of 20 grades, so that has to be taken into account.

I just looked at the 2016 Mustang owner's manual (PDF on-line) for the Australia export. It specifies that the 5.0L Coyote exported to Australia to use 5W-30 (Ford spec WSS-M2C913-D). The Coyote engines in the exported models is really no different that the US models. The US model owner's manual specifies to use 5W-20 in the 2015+ Coyote.
No option for 5w-20?

Originally Posted By: hatt

No option for 5w-20?

Nope, not in the owner's manual for the Australian export model.

See pages 193 & 194 for the 5.0 Specs in the AUS manual linked below. Only show 5W-30.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...AUS_02_2016.pdf

No option for 5w-20?

Nope, not in the owner's manual for the Australian export model.

See pages 193 & 194 for the 5.0 Specs in the AUS manual linked below. Only show 5W-30.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...AUS_02_2016.pdf
Odd the engineers came up with different numbers when writing those two manuals.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Even better, how about everyone use what they want and stop trying to convince others of what's best.

Aren't Forums like BITOG about guys asking questions and soliciting feedback?

The poster asked- and received feedback from many parties.

In the end nobody here pours anyone else's oil.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: wemay
Even better, how about everyone use what they want and stop trying to convince others of what's best.

Aren't Forums like BITOG about guys asking questions and soliciting feedback?

The poster asked- and received feedback from many parties.

In the end nobody here pours anyone else's oil.

Out of context.

wemay, which Ford manual is wrong: The US one that says to use only 5w-20 in the engine or the Australian one that says to only use 5w-30 in the engine? Maybe they're both wrong. Or both right?

wemay, which Ford manual is wrong: The US one that says to use only 5w-20 in the engine or the Australian one that says to only use 5w-30 in the engine? Maybe they're both wrong. Or both right?

They are both right ... question is, why did Ford spec 5W-30 for the Australian export Mustangs with the 5.0L Coyote? Maybe because it's hotter over there ... or is it really because there are way more Mustangs in the USA and specifying 5W-20 helps Ford bump up their fleet avg MPG number?

BTW - the 2015+ Coyote engines have "5W-20" printed right on the oil filler cap. So I would assume the Australian Coyote's have "5W-30" printed on their oil filler cap.

Hi hatt,

I believe you have me confused with another member. I never commented on what the different manuals say for this vehicle.

BTW - I just looked at the 2016 Mustang owner's manual for the European export model and it shows to use 5W-20 (Ford Spec WSS-M2C948-B) for the Euro model Coyote. It also says in the OM "We recommend Castrol and Ford engine oils and lubricants".

So it seems strange that Ford would specify 5W-20 for the Euro Mustangs that can see long WOT runs on the Autobahn.

BTW - I just looked at the 2016 Mustang owner's manual for the European export model and it shows to use 5W-20 (Ford Spec WSS-M2C948-B) for the Euro model Coyote. It also says in the OM "We recommend Castrol and Ford engine oils and lubricants".

So it seems strange that Ford would specify 5W-20 for the Euro Mustangs that can see long WOT runs on the Autobahn.

Does Ford have the castration system installed in this engine if things get out of hand?

Bottom line is that there is inconsistency. There are plenty of regions in the USA that have a climate similar to those of Australia. The engine oil recommendations should therefore be identical if only engineering (and not politics or anything else) were involved. Logically, I'd go with the thicker of the two for the southern regions of the USA. My 2002 Ford has a 5w-20 stenciled on the oil fill cap. Yet, the 2000 model with the identical engine, has a 5w-30 stenciled on it. I'm going with what the engineers originally came up from 1996-2000.

Hi buddies after almost 3 years ive been using the 5w-20 motorcraft oil and the car has been running fine. The car has 10,200 miles and it doesnt burn a drop of oil between oil changes.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
If you drive that thing like it was designed to be driven and you want it to last, I'd use something thicker than 5W20. The same engine in the same car elsewhere specs 5W50 when tracking it...

CAFE runs the show in the US, engine longevity takes a backseat...

Nothing like speculating when the truth is something different. Do you actually believe Ford will sacrifice its few cash cows for a few CAFE credits. Ford can not take financial hit if publics perception wans on the Mustang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back