When Did Fram Become OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years and years guys online talked about how poor Fram filters were and that a Fram would surely cause the quick demise of an engine. For that reason I avoided Fram for a long time. Then not long ago I noticed that some folks really liked the Fram Ultra here on BITOG.

Was the Ultra Fram's entrance into a quality product?

Because filtering is not critical. The only time metallic particles big enough to be trapped are generated, is when something bad happens in the engine. Then you really need a rebuild anyway.

Ever since Motorcrafts and Purolators started tearing.
Ive heard bad things about FRAM extra ( orange can ) but nothing bad about Ultra.

I believe all Frams are perfectly fine. First off the "Cardboard" end caps are a filtering material. Fram calls them Fiber end caps in most circumstances and I have seen pictures where there is obvious debris caught on the end caps. At first, People were uneducated as to what they really are and called them cardboard. Fram also believes their end caps are generally superior to metal end caps.

As for the Ultra, it is a filter built with similar quality to boutique filters such as Amsoil and Royal purple but for a significantly lower cost and higher availability. It also has great filtering capabilities.

Another positive point in my book is Fram seems to be forthcoming with information on their filters while some other filter manufacturers aren't.

Also, they just work. I also believe the extra positivity toward Fram seems to be related to the torn Purolator issues seen on this site which seems to have been a favorite company previous to those issues.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Because filtering is not critical. The only time metallic particles big enough to be trapped are generated, is when something bad happens in the engine. Then you really need a rebuild anyway.

No need for any kind of oil filter with that logic.
laugh.gif

I don't know of a better filter than an Ultra...regardless of price. The OCOD filters are inexpensive and reliable. Also I personally love their textured ends for removal and installation. They seem like a company that cares about their product and frankly I admire that.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

laugh.gif

The filter does very little. If your air filtration is working and your engine isn't junk you shouldn't be shedding particles big enough to cause a prob.

Fram has never been bad. They're just ugly, cheap looking filters. But that doesn't really mean a lot when it comes to filtering, and doing a good job. For a regular oil change, they do just fine.

If you want to extend your oil changes, step it up to the Fram Ultra.

There are still some of us who are drinking the Fram Kool-Aid yet. Actually in my case I have good reasons to use what I do.

My son's Cruze uses a cartridge filter and the AC Delco is most affordable on Amazon with seemingly the best results of any filter for the application.

My Silverado has the new LT1 series 5.3 liter, but Fram still shows the filter from the previous gen trucks as the appropriate fit, even though the 2015's have the same motor as mine, they never updated their site for the 14's. If they can't get that right they aren't going on the truck. Original AC with metal center tube or Wix here.

The wife's Legacy calls for the higher bypass setting that I can only find in Wix produced filters. Wix products go on the Subaru.

Even though I'm ok on the build quality of the Fram Ultra I don't think I'll be doing Fram anytime soon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

laugh.gif

The filter does very little. If your air filtration is working and your engine isn't junk you shouldn't be shedding particles big enough to cause a prob.

I disagree. After opening many oil filters and looking what was caught in the media (even on newish motors), I'd say running no oil filter would not be a good thing to do.

I remember being on here in 2008-2011 and everyone was bashing Fram and praising Purolator. So I started using Purolators. Then I get back into the swing in 2015 and it's a total flip flop, understandably so considering the evidence.

When did Fram actually become good again, I'm not sure.

Parts store employees & customers alike still think FRAM is a sure way to grenade your engine. I tried to tell a couple AAP employees about how great the Ultra is & all they could argue back was "cardboard end caps." No, the Ultra doesn't have "cardboard" end caps... the "cardboard" in the Extra & Tough Guard is still fine too though, don't get me wrong.

I also ran into an acquaintance of mine in the oil aisle at Walmart who owns a Pennzoil quick lube & auto repair business. He told me to avoid FRAM because of the "cardboard end caps", but then told me to use Purolators... I told him about the Ultra & he was open ears but still didn't seem convinced.

Originally Posted By: CrackyWainwright

Was the Ultra Fram's entrance into a quality product?

When purolator got worse.

I think the ultra probably got more attention as a quality filter after the reports of puro's torn media. I know i use them now.
I still won't use the ocd though.

I won't use an Orange can as there are better filters for the same money (or less on RockAuto). I've got a few Bosch D+, Mobil 1, Wix's and a new STP XL to use up before I need more filters but I will probably give the Ultra a try.

Guys online talk about a lot of things whether they have any idea what they're speaking of or not.
They also tend to echo one another. When someone posts something that sounds authoritative even if it's nonsense, many others will jump onboard in an effort to sound knowledgeable.
The main rap on Fram was always the fiber end caps, never mind that fiber end caps glued to fiber meadia make for a stronger glue joint than fiber media glued to metal end caps.
A lot of people called these end caps "paper" or "cardboard", since that sounded like a REALLY BAD THING.
The reality is that there isn't and never was anything wrong with Fram oil filters.
I used them as a matter of preference for decades based upon the filtration efficiency they showed in an eighties CR test of oil filters.
I have an Ultra on the '12 Accord right now, an OCD on the E350 and a TG on the Focus.
The Forester has a Bosch D+ (hope it doesn't tear) and the old Accord and the old Legacy both have P1s (hope they don't tear either).
The BMW currently has a Mahle, but only because these quality filters were so cheap online. It's had both Frams and Purolators in the past, which actually cost more when I bought them online.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
I believe all Frams are perfectly fine. First off the "Cardboard" end caps are a filtering material. Fram calls them Fiber end caps in most circumstances and I have seen pictures where there is obvious debris caught on the end caps. At first, People were uneducated as to what they really are and called them cardboard. Fram also believes their end caps are generally superior to metal end caps.

As for the Ultra, it is a filter built with similar quality to boutique filters such as Amsoil and Royal purple but for a significantly lower cost and higher availability. It also has great filtering capabilities.

Another positive point in my book is Fram seems to be forthcoming with information on their filters while some other filter manufacturers aren't.

Also, they just work. I also believe the extra positivity toward Fram seems to be related to the torn Purolator issues seen on this site which seems to have been a favorite company previous to those issues.
So why don't the expensive Frams use cardboard end caps? Your comment is illogical.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Frams have always been OK.

Right....aside from jokes about the OCOD.

I think the bashing came from the fact that many other filters were better than the orange can at same or lower price. But with the advent of the Ultra, Fram has produced a top of the line filter.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The main rap on Fram was always the fiber end caps, never mind that fiber end caps glued to fiber meadia make for a stronger glue joint than fiber media glued to metal end caps.
A lot of people called these end caps "paper" or "cardboard", since that sounded like a REALLY BAD THING.
The reality is that there isn't and never was anything wrong with Fram oil filters.
I used them as a matter of preference for decades based upon the filtration efficiency they showed in an eighties CR test of oil filters.

See the "A Letter from Fram" section at the end of this paper. It actually talks about Fram trying to use fiber end caps on the Extended Guard (now the XG) in the development stage, but they went to metal end caps for that design for proper adhesion to join the media/wire mesh layers to the end caps.

http://gwrra-ohh2.org/pdf/oilfilter.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back