It's winter, let's take out the... Motorcycle???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
It got to 80F here today
laugh.gif

I need to move there.

As much as I'm a baby about the cold, I do go snowmobiling on some pretty cold days, even below -20 C. So, the cold isn't so much of an issue on a motorcycle. After all, it's clear that there is garb for that. The road conditions are another matter altogether.

Overkill: The Weather Network mentioned -50 C in parts of northern Manitoba and northern Ontario, before the wind chill. Northern Saskatchewan hit -43 C last night, but down south we had a low of -17 C. I didn't go motorcycling though, or snowmobiling.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Riding a bike below 65-70F is just too crazy.

If we were to restrict ourselves to such temperatures up here, we'd only be able to ride 2-3 months out of the year.
smile.gif

I used to ride when it was 50f outside, and it was manageable, even at longer distances. Even below that it can be done, but the fun factor is just not there, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As much as I'm a baby about the cold, I do go snowmobiling on some pretty cold days, even below -20 C. So, the cold isn't so much of an issue on a motorcycle. After all, it's clear that there is garb for that. The road conditions are another matter altogether.

Overkill: The Weather Network mentioned -50 C in parts of northern Manitoba and northern Ontario, before the wind chill. Northern Saskatchewan hit -43 C last night, but down south we had a low of -17 C. I didn't go motorcycling though, or snowmobiling.

That's wild. I saw -45 on Environment Canada's site, no mention of -50C except for with wind chill. But hey, remember, it doesn't get that cold up in the GWN
wink.gif

grin.gif

It is high 70's today and low 80's tomorrow, time for a drive with top down to lake Elsinore via CA 74 (winding mountain road) this afternoon to have a diner there, and may be tomorrow too.

It is high 70's today and low 80's tomorrow, time for a drive with top down to lake Elsinore via CA 74 (winding mountain road) this afternoon to have a diner there, and may be tomorrow too.

It's a balmy -22C (-8F) here right now. Supposed to get down to -27C (-17F) tonight.

It's colder than sub-zero freezer
crazy.gif

Winter in So Cal means we may have few drops of water from the sky if we are lucky, otherwise the temperature may be lower than 60-65F during the day and around 45-50F at night.

But we still have 75-85F for some days(may be weeks) from Dec to Feb.

The weather in So Cal is just about perfect for convertible car. We can have top down more than 300-320 days a year.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Riding a bike below 65-70F is just too crazy.

If we were to restrict ourselves to such temperatures up here, we'd only be able to ride 2-3 months out of the year.
smile.gif

I used to ride when it was 50f outside, and it was manageable, even at longer distances. Even below that it can be done, but the fun factor is just not there, IMO.

Depends a lot on the bike too - something like a BMW R1200RT, with full fairing, electric screen, cylinders putting warmth on your legs, heated grips and seat, etc., I'm okay down to 2 or 3 degrees Celsius (35 Fahrenheit). On my Honda NC750, which is a naked bike, anything below about 10*C (50*F) becomes uncomfortable pretty quick at highway speeds. My commute is only 20 minutes, so it's bearable, but I did fit aftermarket heated grips and seat after the first winter...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That's wild. I saw -45 on Environment Canada's site, no mention of -50C except for with wind chill. But hey, remember, it doesn't get that cold up in the GWN
wink.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if the Weather Network embellished the forecast for a short period to get people talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back