Castrol 0w30 leaving Advance Auto Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is going to be official before long that Castrol 0w30 will no longer be available at AAP. I bought some today for $5.50 a quart because it was being discontinued. It is gone at Autozone and O' Reilly's. Only Pep Boys will have it in stock which is 30 minutes away. I guessing it is due to the fact it is a poor seller and that it's API SL too. The Castrol High Mileage Full Synthetic took its place on the shelf. Only Mobil 1 High Mileage will be left that is API SL approved.

Yeah it is no good at all. I wonder if it is that they are just too worried about the API SL aspect being that it is not the latest one. This could be the trip up for these retailers around here.

Good question, bbhero. Most people using it don't pay too much attention to the API specifications, anyhow. I wonder if all the Euro dealer oils, including Castrol OE stuff, even bother listing an API spec. Of course, if a general retailer, or even a general automotive retailer, doesn't know why it's SL, they could jump to the wrong conclusion, particularly if they're not looking for the correct answer.

I also noticed one of our Walmarts has a really poor selection of oil. There isn't much M1. There isn't any gold bottle Edge, which is very uncommon here. Really, there isn't much of anything, and it looks like someone organized the oil aisle by tossing a grenade in there.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I also noticed one of our Walmarts has a really poor selection of oil. There isn't much M1. There isn't any gold bottle Edge, which is very uncommon here. Really, there isn't much of anything, and it looks like someone organized the oil aisle by tossing a grenade in there.

+1. I usually don't buy oil at WM in Canada. last time I bought oil at WM, was then they had the eco-power from Saftey Kleen on sale $7 for a 5 liter jug. Canadian Tire will have better sales more often.

That's a very good point Quattro Pete. Only counter point to that is some cars don't need or specify a 40 grade. I would like to have the option of either a 30 or 40.

It was on clearance back in December at Autozone. There was one store that had a whole row of it. Got about 10+ quarts for $2 a quart. It meets MB specs and that's what I'm running this winter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does it really make sense for edge 0w30 to still exist now that there is edge 0w40 that meets all the same specs and more?

If they're able to sell it, I suppose why not? You and I know that 0w-40 A3/B4 will handle all the applications just fine. Some people, however, see certain things in their manual, and don't understand the German specs, and see a viscosity and a spec listed and get panicky. Heck, we see it here all the time.

If Shell can sell eight or more varieties of SN/GF-5 in 5w-30 alone in Canada, I have no problems with Wakefield marketing four varieties of A3/B4 oils (with different SAE grades) here, at least since two of them come in jugs and two of them in one litre bottles. Technically, three of them are redundant, but what would the result be if they were pulled? Maybe more SN/GF-5 lubricants could be placed there.
wink.gif

JC1: Walmart seems to do a bit better on the conventional sales. While both CT's and Walmart's synthetic specials are about the same, Walmart is consistently $2 or more per jug cheaper on conventional specials. Of course, Walmart advertises the specials much less frequently. You actually have to walk into the place. By the way, if you want a laugh, check out what oils Walmart Canada will sell online right now. They'll only sell 6x1 L boxes, and the price will floor you. I can't see them selling a lot.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
That's a very good point Quattro Pete. Only counter point to that is some cars don't need or specify a 40 grade. I would like to have the option of either a 30 or 40.

The applications that call for such oil typically give you a whole range of viscosities to choose from. And if yours forces you into a specific viscosity for reasons such as fuel economy, then you should not be using an oil such as edge 0w30 to begin with.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
The Castrol High Mileage Full Synthetic took its place on the shelf.

Is this the new Edge HM? I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet.

True indeed Quattro Pete. The previous generation of my car was specd for either a 5w30, 10w30, and even a 10w40. The VQ35 motor is the same in my car. So I can run a 40 grade if I want too. I have to say that it's nice being able to run this Castrol 0w30. A lot stronger oil than a regular API SN, ILSAC GF-5.

Yes sir SavagePatch it sure was. The 5w30 variety is Dexos approved with ACEA A1 as well. It's API SN has well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back