2012 Chrys T&C Random Shutoff While Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: racer12306
Right now, after speaking on the phone, all the dealer can say is that for $99.95 I can get an hour of diagnostic service and using my information they can do their best to pin point the problem.

Lot to think about this week. Seriously considering dumping the car and getting something else rather that run the risk of dumping thousands chasing an electrical problem. Seems every important module is $1000 and change to replace.

I'd try with just the key. The symptoms sound awfully similar to the GM and Chrysler ignition issues. If it works fine you know it's not electrical and can press for a replacement.

If it doesn't work then you need to decide what to do. I'd suggest no more Mopars
smile.gif

There is an extra piece of information that I forgot. This vehicle has an aftermarket remote start system.

I spoke to the local guy and he ran a scan on the car and came up with P0884 (power up at speed). This code seems like it would be triggered by the restart that took place last week.

Step 1 is going to be have the local guy remove the remote start system and see if there is anything wrong around that install.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
There is an extra piece of information that I forgot. This vehicle has an aftermarket remote start system.

That is definitely relevant information. Ridgeline guys add these all the time, and it's the #1 problem behind no-starts (though I'm not sure it's ever cut the vehicle off while driving), and it's usually the first step in any electrical diagnosis -- take off that remote start and then see where you are.

Took it to the dealer yesterday and they believe the problem is in the wireless control module (the vehicle part of the "key" switch.

I realized there is another problem I forgot to describe where the vehicle will start and immediately stall. Fortunately, they observed this problem and we talked it over and are pretty confident in their guess, but unfortunately, it's just a guess as there was nothing from the computer diagnostics.

$170 part, 3.5hrs labor and hopefully this thing will be fixed.

I had the TiPM replaced in my van under recall

I can't believe they haven't recalled the entire lot of them, this isn't an uncommon issue.

I'm hoping this is the fix as it's half the cost of a TIPM installed.

We'll see soon enough, appointment to replace the part is Monday and the start/stall problem is becoming more and more frequent, so we'll know pretty quick after if that side of the problem is fixed.

Wireless control module has been replaced.

Here's hoping that is the ticket.

Week and a half in and we've yet to see the symptoms recur. Hopefully this was the fix.

Cool- here's hoping they've got it sorted out.

Thank you for the update, and please keep us posted for the long term results.

3.5 weeks in an still no recurrence of the problem. I'm going to mark this as fixed.

Phew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back