window tinting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody, I just had new hardwood floors installed in my house and was wanting to get the south facing patio doors tinted to reduce any fading. Was at lowes and saw some tinting and install kit that would end up costing about thirty dollars. I have no experience at doing this and was wondering if I should do it myself or get it professionally done. Anybody ever do this? Any feedback would be appreciated.

The place that tinted my car windows also does house windows. I'm a DIYer for most thing but not window tint. It's too tedious a job and patience is not my forte.

I did my patio doors 15 years ago, it is still on the doors. I need to redo it though, it is starting to get splotchy. I don't remember the brand, but it was the most expenisve stuff at home depot at the time. It is the reflective/mirror finish stuff. Really cuts down on the amount of heat and UV that comes in.
It really was not that hard to do, especially compared to a vehicle. Big flat rectangular piece of glass.
Get a good squeege, soapy water mix, sharp blade and ruler and have at it.

I'm considering a condo in my area with windows that face east and north, so tinting may not be as necessary as with windows that face west. Still I think it would help with the power bills, and give me a psychological boost -- I hate endless yellow afternoon sunlight pouring into my place. So, crestwood, it might well be worth every penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back