w116 300sd Shocks Mercedes

Status
Not open for further replies.
1979 300sd Mercedes Benz.

Need front shocks
Cannot make up my mind on wether to get Heavy Duty Bilstein or the Standard shocks.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated

On my W123 (same vintage, different chassis) I went with the standard (black) Bilsteins when I rebuilt the suspension at 200K. They might have been Sachs-Boge...it was quite a while ago....I can't recall exactly now...

The heavy duty (yellow) Bilsteins are considerably more firm, and I was looking to restore the OE feel, not to stiffen it up. I've used HD Bilsteins (yellow) on a Ford Explorer and my Toyota 4 Runner. They were dramatically stiffer than OE...to the point that I took them off the Explorer, it was just too rough.

I've got HD Bilsteins front and back on my Volvo wagon right now, the T5 was the sporty version, and I installed the Bilsteins during a suspension rebuild that included new IPD sway bars. I like the overall firmer feel in that chassis.

Part of the W116 chassis appeal is the smooth ride, you might find the HD a bit too stiff...particularly if you've gone to a lower profile tire than OE...

Last edited:
Ive run HD on my w123 cars and it was slightly tighter but still consistent with how it performed before. I have put HD into service on some cars where it was delightfully harder over things like speed bumps... But on the W123/6, I think because of the substantial and strong springs, the dampers do not have the same interaction as on, say, a macpherson.

Ive used and would use HD, but do not think you can go wrong either way.

IIRC the HD for MB apps is still painted black, not the yellow/blue...

Rock Auto has them at a great price
smile.gif

My choice would be HD

I have the yellow Bilsteins in my 03 Honda CRV which is a relatively light vehicle. The ride is firm to stiff. You definitely feel the road when driving and I almost always get questioned by new passengers if the suspension has been changed from stock.

Went with standard shocks for the front.

The issue now is that the top nuts that secure the old shocks won't come off.
Might be the original shocks

Is there a special wrench that prevents that tip or shaft from turning?

I used an adjustable wrench but I couldn't get enough leverage. Wrench also kept slipping off.

Thinking about using vise grips on the shaft to see if maybe that will help.

I don't have a grinder to grind the top nuts off or a torch to torch them off.

Any advice greatly appreciated

https://w116shocks.shutterfly.com/pictures/9#9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back