Value Power batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Judging from the latest Consumer Reports test of batteries, JC batteries can have very, very different results depending on which customer they were made for.

With that said, $50 for a battery that lasts two years doesn't seem so bad. AutoZone wants $125 for one of their Duralast Gold batteries, and I doubt that it would still be in great shape after 3-4 years anyway.
the Las duralast gold I replaced was 8 years old. It had to be replaced because It was left drained for a month or two. The battery before it was a 12 year old diehard

Originally Posted By: Tdbo

The Maxx (on their own web site) only has a 62% rate when purchasers were asked if they would buy it again.

Uh, you do realize that most people (especially WM people) will only give feedback when they have a problem with their product, don't you? All of the happy customers don't participate.
Also, WalMart customers are people who will complain if something is given to them free and at the same time will steal or swap products just to rip off the corporation of even a few cents. Proof of that is all the unboxed, orphan Fram filters that find their way back on the product shelf.
I'd take the ratings on their own web site with a grain of salt.

The Everstart-MAXX in my Caddy is ready to be replaced...but still cranks that giant engine after more than eight years!

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

The Maxx (on their own web site) only has a 62% rate when purchasers were asked if they would buy it again.

Uh, you do realize that most people (especially WM people) will only give feedback when they have a problem with their product, don't you? All of the happy customers don't participate.
Also, WalMart customers are people who will complain if something is given to them free and at the same time will steal or swap products just to rip off the corporation of even a few cents. Proof of that is all the unboxed, orphan Fram filters that find their way back on the product shelf.
I'd take the ratings on their own web site with a grain of salt.

If I were Wal-Mart and I couldn't garner a rating on my own website better than 62%, I wouldn't have people rating products on the web site.

Agree that ratings are subjective, but many of the comments resemble my personal experience with their batteries, to the point that they all can't be wrong.

day 16 cataloging my value power ownership, the subaru sat in the garage a good 12 days doing nothing but staring at the wall. she fired right up after swapping a crank sensor. not much else to say but another update when i feel like it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Ask yourself, how often have you bought the cheapest auto part available for something vital and had it turn out good?

True, but most parts are installed on a car and are left in place until it fails. I mean, how many yank off a ball joint or an alternator and sabotage it right before the warranty expires?
A battery is different. It's too easy to take out the battery, ruin it right before the warranty expires and exchange it out for a new one. I've seen many posts on this site of people BRAGGING on how they got a new "free" battery right before the free warranty was up.

A neighbor bought one of these the other day for her 95 Explorer. I didn't recommend it, but she didn't have $110+tax to spend on the 5 year (3 free+2 prorated) one. The one she got was $49+tax. It's better than nothing... at least for up to one year guaranteed.

I had to *replace* a 3 year warranty one (I don't remember which) from Walmart at full cost in my Dodge van that went bad after 2 years because I didn't have a receipt for it. It was in the van when I got it so I had no choice in the matter. I got the 5 year one from Walmart (it was on labor day and I needed one immediately) and kept the receipt, giving it to the next owner along with the rest of the binder full of of receipts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back