High Mileage vs Synthetic High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't remember where the thread was so I'll post it here (since it's a synth high mileage thread). I browsed around in an Advance yesterday and they were fully stocked with Castrol Edge High Mileage (5W30,10W30,10W40). I can't find any mention of it on the internet anywhere. Didn't see it on Castrol's site either. Has anyone seen it at Walmart yet?

Originally Posted By: car51
10w30 and 40 at Wal mart I can walk to in jugs and quarts

I'll have to see if the Walmarts here have it yet. Wonder when Castrol is going to put it on their site?

Originally Posted By: car51
Aquariscism: my bad, the Wal mart just had the synblend Castrol HM. Again I apologize
For that goof up

Haha yeah that's what I was thinking. I was about to be like,score!! I'd love to give Edge HM 10W40 a try since wm no longer carries Edge 10W40.

Yeah, the Autozone near me doesn't even have edge HM yet
frown.gif

I just wonder how long the Edge hm stuff will last? Will it end up like PUP and become rare as hens teeth because only few select uber expensive places will carry it? SOPUS and Castrol really need to get on the ball and make their flagship products more widely available (especially at places like Walmart that sell TONS of merchandise) or they might as well quit introducing new top tier products and stick with the mainstream lines.

Yeah, the two Wal marts I visited this morning had no PU at all ;(. Auto associate said there's been no one asking for it

What's funny is the three Supercenters here have never had PUP,but the tiny old school wm in my gf's parents' small town is fully stocked with jugs and quarts of it,in every viscosity they make it in.

You would've loved the Wal mart I got the MaxLife at: tons of Castrol conventional in 20w50, 10w30&40 and edge in 10w30 and 10w40

Man wm's here used to be stocked to the hilt with Edge 10W40
frown.gif
I can even remember when Castrol made Syntec 20W50. Wm carried that also,only in quarts though.

Just an update, went about 2500 miles before I had to add a quart. This was using Pennzoil HM. So, I would rate this oil pretty good as far as reduction of consumption, considering it is a conventional HM oil. I still intend to give MaxLife syn blend a try. The price is about equal to Pennz HM and being a syn blend, the cold flow properties may be better. One of these two will be my standard fill.

I'm about 6000 miles into my current OCI. I'm using Pennzoil HM 5w/30. I've used this oil a couple of oci's now. Topped off once at around 2700 miles. This time, I added a quart. Went 3100 miles before I needed to add a quart. I'm at the end of my Pennzoil HM stash.Will be switching to MaxLife
Syn Blend and using Napa Full Syn for a top off oil..

Last edited:
Went from 3100 miles on a quart last top off to down almost a quart in less than a thousand miles. Nothing has changed as far as driving pattern. Perplexing.....

yes,perplexing. my thoughts would be to add new pcv, pull plugs,spray cleaner into each cyn to soak rings for a few hours, replace plugs with new plugs,add hm oil your choice of brand but leave room for 1 qt of Schaeffers Moly e.p... to raise visc of oil.
just my thoughts....good luck

PHM has worked for me many times over the years... I no longer use pennzoil and switched to Mobil so it is a little early to tell if Mobil is that much better or not. I do like Mobil's specs. They also make their PDS easy to find.

For your application, Maxlife red bottle would be a great choice for you to try... If you would search and go back almost 10 years on this site, many people have used Maxlife to help with what you are experiencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back