Jiffy Lube leaves the tranny a gallon low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.

Today at our Christmas brunch, our neighbors' 18 year old son asks for advice as his car (really neat, clean, low mileage '97 Lincoln Mark VIII) is shuddering. He went to Jiffy lube for an oil change 2 days ago and they up-sold him into a transmission flush for an extra $200. He's a bit too trusting and foolishly went for it.

We had some sunshine and I was bored, and they are great folks so I went and looked at it while they went to their family dinner, and before ours. Jiffy Libe in Gig Harbor, WA left the tranny so low it would not register on the dipstick - so at least 3 or more quart low as I can figure. I could hear the pump literally "gasping" for fluid at idle before I even pulled the dipstick (or even found it; they hid it well on these cars).

I assume they checked the fluid with engine off and thought that was OK and how you did it. Jeez. Transmission are just tpo fragile and valuable to leave to quicky shops. We'll have an amusing conversation with them tomorrow I bet. Fortunately, I think he drove it few enough miles and on flat ground that no real damage was done.

Last edited:
All you have to do is mention 'Jiffy Lube' here and the sirens go off. It was nice of you to check it out.

I do feel that vehicle tranny fluid levels can take some 'follow up' after service to assure the level is correct. I think you did 98% of it already. Maybe they will throw out a coupon of sorts, I wouldn't expect to much from them.

When I service or do a partial flush, I watch the fluid level after a few drives to make sure it is right.

No domestic automotive automatic I know of will function at four quarts low, three maybe but probably not, two low won't always register anything on stick...

No it doesn't excuse, JL for not checking more closely...

It's a shame to ruin a nice cars' transmission over a $200 preventive maintenance service that wasn't done correctly.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
No domestic automotive automatic I know of will function at four quarts low, three maybe but probably not, two low won't always register anything on stick...

No it doesn't excuse, JL for not checking more closely...

I have seen one just a week ago. It was a 1993 LeSabre. One of the cooler lines sprung a persistent leak and it took just under 4 quarts to bring it back up to proper level. It was still moving. If I had not seen it myself, I would not have believed it.

Also make sure that the correct fluid was used. If they used a Merc. 3 fluid rather than Merc. V the torque converter will shudder when it locks up.

A '97 Mark VIII is a very nice car.

jiffy lube did not fill 2 of the battery cells on my daughters car (they were under the fender edge) and hard to get to.
when I complained the boss said that was our best man.
best meant fastest I think.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
jiffy lube did not fill 2 of the battery cells on my daughters car (they were under the fender edge) and hard to get to.
when I complained the boss said that was our best man.
best meant fastest I think.
That battery is probably on the way out if it's using water.

DIY if you want the job done correctly.

Even ASE certified techs do [censored] work as they have no pride in the quality of work they do.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Also make sure that the correct fluid was used. If they used a Merc. 3 fluid rather than Merc. V the torque converter will shudder when it locks up.

What is mercon III?

They had Mercon and Mercon V and now newer like Mercon LV

Originally Posted By: Rand

What is mercon III?

That is your basic Dex/Merc labeled stuff.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I wouldn't let Jiffy Lube or Jiffy anything work on my wheelbarrow. Most of those kids working there don't know jack **** about anything mechanical.

The one we have locally have workers that are ignorant with an attitude. This may or may not apply to your local Jiffy Lube location.
With their prices, I would just assume go to the dealer and save some money.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I wouldn't let Jiffy Lube or Jiffy anything work on my wheelbarrow. Most of those kids working there don't know jack **** about anything mechanical.

The one we have locally have workers that are ignorant with an attitude. This may or may not apply to your local Jiffy Lube location.
With their prices, I would just assume go to the dealer and save some money.

Well and we have all seen the news stories or experienced them charging to replace things they have not touched. I caught them not changing the oil filter on my former roomies Dodge Neon when I crawled underneath it to check for leaks one time. It had the same Purolator pure one filter I put on it from two OCI's ago.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
..our neighbors' 18 year old son asks for advice..

Too little, too late.

I don't give advice to anyone about anything as I'm only in charge of me.
smile.gif

$.02

Originally Posted By: Rand

What is mercon III?

Sorry, guess I had a brain fade. Many of the older fluids were Mercon/Dexron III. Mercon is what I meant.

The local Ford dealer under filled the AX4N in our 2001 Windstar by 3 quarts after I paid them for a pan drop and filter change. I didn't discover it until a day later when it started slipping and shifting weird. I topped it up with Maxlife ATF and we drove that van another 40K miles. I guess my point is, even the "experts" for your car can and will mess up on this type of service. I honestly don't think they're used to doing anything with ATs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Don't go to Iffy Lube, even to ask directions!

That's my philosophy as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back