Lucas Oil Stabilizer - Any good experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the consensus around here seems to be that LOS is just thick group I oil that has no benefits beyond what you could get from using a thicker regular oil, while diluting the additive pack. I'm asking for dissenting opinions on it. Do you believe it does something special and if so, do you have any personal experiences with it fixing problems with your cars? I used it to quiet a rod knock on a Samurai, and it worked to some extent, but thicker oil might have as well.

I had a bit of Lucas left so I used it on various door hinges. Thanks to its thickness, it stuck in place. No more squeaky doors. Its also great for minivan sliding doors. Those have components exposed to the elements and thin oil just runs off in the rain.

As for using it in engines. I tried it long ago. There was no substantial benefit from it. Engine noise was the same with or without it.

00 Corolla CE (1zz-fe engine) started to burn oil at 100k, my friend was the first owner, the vehicle was short tripped for the first 85k.

When it started to burn oil, his co-workers suggested lucas oil stabilizer, it had no affect on the oil burning. He used it for 25k before he had me rebuild his engine.

I rebuild these engines, out of the 60 1zz-fes I have done, his was the only one with a "weird" thick layer of white build-up on top of the typical black carbon build-up, that is on the pistons, took A LOT longer to clean then the typical 1zz piston with "black" build-up.

I don't see the point of Lucas oil stabilizer.

We used it once in a while when our used car manager screwed up and took in a bad trade with ticking or a slight knock. The shop would toss LOS into the sump and quiet the car down long enough to unload it.

I have an 01 Escape with 220k that seeps oil from the timing chain cover. A fairly small dose, of Lucas, maybe 6 oz almost stops it. I think it helps the seals. I don't think that amount hurts the additives in any way. So yes, I don't go along with the consensus that it is worthless.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Liqui moly motor oil saver beats Lucas hands down, I'm using some with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 in my 300k plus Nissan

I do trust anything with Liqui Moly on the bottle, but no way I will spend any penny on anything Lucas.

Also, Lubegard has many good additives too.

If for some engines oil spec's are a big deal then adding Lucas would dilute the oil. It might only be by a small amount but wouldn't it be better to use a thicker oil that meets the spec's or fix the engine.

The solution might be sell the car or fix the engine instead of spending money to put off the decision.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Liqui moly motor oil saver beats Lucas hands down, I'm using some with Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 in my 300k plus Nissan

I do trust anything with Liqui Moly on the bottle, but no way I will spend any penny on anything Lucas.

Also, Lubegard has many good additives too.

I'm trying out Lubegard's additives in my vehicles already and like them. I've had good luck with Lucas transmission stop slip fixing a slipping transmission, at least temporarily. Also, their power steering additive did quiet down a noisy power steering pump on an Impala I had that had been driven with no power steering fluid. I wouldn't use them on a car in good working condition, though.

My friend uses it on pistol rails of handguns he shoots rarely . I use it for door hinges and in extremely old cars no more than 1/3 bottle. A full bottle is too much for anything. Horrible winter pumpability in cold weather. Too much money for such a product that dilutes OCI. Try LM Motor Oil Saver and or Ceratec instead. I used to use Lucas with M1 5w30 and when I quit the motor wheened. If you want a oil thickner stalizer use a synthetic 15w50 or 10w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back