Dodge turbo 2.2, 30 years on cheap dino oil, pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Counting toward right, there appears to be a pit or gouge on lobe #4, is that maybe a shadow or spot of dirt??

IMG_2637_zpst4go6tyi.jpg

That's just a dark area on the metal. I ran my finger over it and can not feel it. Not sure what it is. It will be sitting for a while waiting on parts in the mail. It is starting to dry out, there was a lot of moisture on it yesterday. I should get the head off it today.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
30 years and 270k miles. Blown head gasket on the 1986 Chrysler turbo 2.2. Water in the oil. In the process of replacing the head gasket and thought I would get a pic of the cam. Wear seems normal for a 30 year old 4 cylinder. I use nothing but the cheapest oil and filters. Most turbo 4's do not survive this long for various reasons but this one was going strong until the head gasket let loose. Head gaskets are a know problem on this engine. They always fail in the same place by #1 cylinder. #1 was the only one with water on the plug. She will be running fine soon.

"Most turbo 4's" aren't the Chrysler 2.2. It used the same rod and main bearing diameters as the 440/426 big block, and was designed by the same engineer responsible for the slant-6. It was one stout bugger, apart from the head gasket. Even that usually lasts a long time unless you start dialing up the boost.

I never personally got into the whole FWD/turbo thing at all, but I knew some guys who had a lot of fun with the couple of years where the turbo engine was offered in the Caravan and Voyager, turning up the boost to "insane" (later by reprogramming, earlier by just putting a bleeder valve in the boost sense line or fiddling with the wastegate spring and an extra fuel injector in the intake) and then running in the 10-12 second range in the 1/4 mile with them. O-ringing the block and using a Powerstroke intercooler were the major tricks, they usually left the bottom-end completely stock and rarely had issues. Plus they could putt along the freeway at legal speeds and get 25-30 mpg if they wanted.

It got really interesting when Lotus designed a new head for it, going to 4 valves/cyl.
Fastest 4-door sedan in the U.S. in 1991, Dodge Spirit R/T.
turbo-III.jpg

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
It got really interesting when Lotus designed a new head for it, going to 4 valves/cyl.
Fastest 4-door sedan in the U.S. in 1991, Dodge Spirit R/T.
turbo-III.jpg

Knew some guys who picked those up as collectibles as well. That version had some real problems because it was basically a proof-of-concept that was rushed to production. It ate timing belts like candy (20k miles was doing good- fortunately it would freewheel and not grenade). Also the head casting was prone to cracking around the freeze plugs, there was a recall to replace the freeze plugs with brass ones to save the head. Awesome power (>100 hp/liter for a mass-production engine in the early 1990s), but definitely not ready for prime time.

My biggest gripe with the 2.2/2.5 turbos was that there was never a single car they went in that I thought was worth a nickel.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Knew some guys who picked those up as collectibles as well. That version had some real problems because it was basically a proof-of-concept that was rushed to production. .

The engine was the right idea, but like you said, one gets the impression Dodge engineering management was pressuring them to ship it NOW! One or two more years of durability testing and tweaks, design alterations, would have made it work, saving their reputation.

These days its done differently. For example, I've never heard of the 2004 Dodge Neon SRT having such huge gaping durability holes. Car makers once forgot that durability problems hurt sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back